Dean's In car video from Run n Gun

Mark, the rack is the standard rack. I will definitely need a steering quickener. I just need to decide if I am going to a 1.5 or a 2 to 1 ratio. A lot of the tracks I am on are tighter than the 01 car. I feel like my hands get crossed up. I will also raise the steering wheel a little to get it out of my lap.

Be careful here. My JBL has a 20:1 steering rack and it is correct for the suspension. If you change to a quicker ratio at speed the transition is very quick. I tried 16 & 18:1 ratios and it was white knuckle! The designer told me I would kill myself and I believe he was right. At slow speeds it is slow to steer, but at speed I wouldn't want it any quicker, I tried. Hallett has a couple really tight turns. I would check with Fran before the switch.

Mark

exactly right....

I have the same philosophy as your cars designer

I dont get any negative feedback from the Pro drivers that have driven the 01 car, it runs the same rack as the street car.
As you say at low speeds it feels slow but at road sppeed its not kicking back or over correcting..

I think Dean looked at many videos of other race car from DP to LMP and actually decided it was not even an issue as their wheel rotation was similar in race conditions and very tight hairpins.

As Fran said, I'm sticking to what came with the car. It is very similar to some of the video's I found from old Daytona prototype cars.

Wow, that was great!

How does the car handle the right hand corner at the back of the track labelled "the B***h"? They told us it was a very difficult corner to take.

Our 1st year with the GTM at the 25hrs., all the drivers said the steering was too slow before the car even hit the track, so we put a 1.5 quickener in it.
2 things -
a) make sure the first time your car turns a wheel is not the biggest race of the year.
b) Don was making a new steering shaft to replace the quickener the morning of the race.

Les,
The first video has the Bitch at 1:10 -1:20 minute mark. That corner is the best! The straight away before will allow you to run up to the rev limiter in 3rd. Where nerves of steel come in happens as you climb up the hill and down the other side heading into the bitch (right hander up hill). You will think you need to lift and every fiber of your body is telling you to hit the brakes but if you give the car a chance, you can crest the hill coming into the bitch on the gas and yes, you will survive! The first time is freaking crazy but I was able able to take more than a second of my lap times with just a little faith in the car. If I had a little more rake in the rear wing it would be even faster!

Michael Fling

Supporter
The thing about the "bitch" that you really can not appreciate is the elevation change. As you come up the hill to the slight left hander at the beginning of that segment, you set up for the slight right hander at the top of the hill. It is a blind apex that then drops down hill to the right hander. I managed a 115.8 in my FE. Once I topped the bitch and after the blind right hander, I found a car stopped right in the middle of the track before the right hander. That will get your attention- fast. It is a great track that is technically demanding. If you can go fast there, you can probably go fast anywhere. Dean - you looked like you have it down well. Can't wait to try it myself in a SLC!

Back