Dean's In car video from Run n Gun

The first video is just me and a friend playing around on the first day and the second video is my last and fastest session.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLpcidgcWtc]SLC vs Spice car - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf5OA_Tpo0U]Hallett fastest lap SLC Run n Gun 2012 - YouTube[/ame]

Dean, thanks for the video link. I found it interesting to watch the body moving/flexing on the frame.

What camera are you using - the sound quality is pretty good compared to my older GoPro... which sucks. If a GoPro do they still use the fully encased plastic case system...are there settings for Hi/Lo volume recording.

Mark, the rack is the standard rack. I will definitely need a steering quickener. I just need to decide if I am going to a 1.5 or a 2 to 1 ratio. A lot of the tracks I am on are tighter than the 01 car. I feel like my hands get crossed up. I will also raise the steering wheel a little to get it out of my lap.

Shark, the camera is the GoProHD2 motor sports version and I am very happy with it once I got the settings adjusted to what you see here. It is still fully in-cased but they make a skeleton case that is ope so you can plug a power cord in while it's running.

The body does flex but not the frame. There are a few reason why mine might flex more than others, first I am running a light weight acrylic windshield that is not very stiff like a glass screen would be. Second, I can remove every bit of fiberglass from the chassis in less than 20 minutes. If I was on the street, it would be fastened much tighter but on a race car that is just overkill and can create problems if you need to get the body off quick for a repair.

Great video!

Interesting to see the side Gs slosh the brake fluid completely from one side to the other.

Hmmm, maybe I should rethink about adding a fuel swirl tank after all:smash:

David, the Kirkham was a 1:30 car but I always ran my street tires. The GT40 was closer to a 1:26 car if my memory serves. I couldn't find the GT40 times in the file. I was a lot more experienced with both the Kirkham and the GT when I ran at Hallett. I only had 1 track day on the SLC when I got to Hallett last week. I think it will turn Hallett in the 1:18 range with the right tires and a little experience.

There were also a few places on the track where the rev limiter was an issue. Places where there was not enough room to justify a shift but to much track for a 6500 rev limit. I am going to reprogram that this winter to 7500 with a 7000 rpm shift light.

Thanks Dean!

I did notice several places where the gearing didn't seem quite right, I'm sure you can cut some time as things get sorted.

cheers,

David, the Kirkham was a 1:30 car but I always ran my street tires. The GT40 was closer to a 1:26 car if my memory serves. I couldn't find the GT40 times in the file. I was a lot more experienced with both the Kirkham and the GT when I ran at Hallett. I only had 1 track day on the SLC when I got to Hallett last week. I think it will turn Hallett in the 1:18 range with the right tires and a little experience.

There were also a few places on the track where the rev limiter was an issue. Places where there was not enough room to justify a shift but to much track for a 6500 rev limit. I am going to reprogram that this winter to 7500 with a 7000 rpm shift light.

The Mustang is Driven by Mike Stacey. He "lives" at the track. That car is awesome and it is nowhere near a street car. I went out mid session so my tires were still cold but he is freaking fast anyway so he would have probably passed me sooner or later. The issue is with me and my comfort level "mainly". The car is so fast it is just ridiculous. I haven't driven a car with that kind of down force before so it's more about me trusting the car.

The gearing is great in this trans axle. The issue is with the engine. It is a fresh crate engine with zero tuning. The rev limiter hits at 6450 so I run out of engine. I realized that if I am going to get faster laps, I am going to need a wider RPM range and more power. There are times when I should down shift but I would hit the rev limiter so soon it doesn't pay to waste the time. Then I end up lugging the engine and watching the competition pull away. That was a little frustrating.

All that being said, a 1:21 at Hallett is still hauling ass! You can count the full body cars running a 1:18 or better on your fingers and I think this car will do it!

I would like to have a call with you now that you have seen the video just to hear your thoughts. I probably won't make it back to Hallett next year to take you up on your offer. :thumbsdown:

I'm going to run Road America and Putnam Park and either Autobahn in Joliet Illinois or Mid Ohio depending on scheduling next year. There is a slight chance I might run Eagle Canyon with some friends this winter.

Dean- I know it is not on your schedule, but I would recommend slotting in some time with me at MSR-C (Cresson, TX). It is one of the best tracks I have ever run for learning and teaching a high downforce car. There are several turns there that are effected by wings, but have TONS of run off so as you push yourself, you dont have to worry about the car. I have taught several guys to 'trust' their high downforce cars there with success. Even Gainsco Racing (GRAND-AM DP team) does wing/aero testing there.

Something to think about.. I can get you on the track with me "semi private" for a lot less money than you probably think!!

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Thats awesome Dean! Hallet is 2 hours from my house here in NW Arkansas, that would have been worth the trip to see you and that car.

No, I am running the wet sump ls3 with an accumulator. I just don't see the need for any more than that in a car like this! I have no doubt it will run in the high teens on the track, maybe a 1:17 or 1:18. I did mid 1:20 on worn out tires with a wing adjusted for a much longer track! These cars are just crazy fast!

Yes but it has a title. Every car I've built in the past has been a street/track car but I never drive them on the street! This time I built a track car that could easily be a street car if I wanted to go that way in the future. Every SLC on this forum has the ability to run those times with a good set of tires and similar shock settings, tire pressures, etc.. My car is just an interior short of being a street car.

Back