Don't know if this is old news but ATL makes fuel cells...

Don\'t know if this is old news but ATL makes fuel cells...

For GT40s and replicas.

One problem I'm having with a racing configuration is replacing the Monza style caps to a modern racing cap and then figuring out what to do with the fuel filler neck but that's another problem.

Scroll down to the bottom and you'll see the cell:
ATL fuel cells

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
Re: Don\'t know if this is old news but ATL makes fuel cells...

Pete,

We have had a company in Australia quote us for fuel cells that comply to FIA standards but I thank you for bringing my attention to ATL and their GT40 tanks.

There are problems with fitting two cells in the sills. You either have two completely seperate systems with two dry brakes (I have my doubts if this is legal) and this will be a factor at Bathurst this year for our cars. The other option is to only use one cell (in the passengers side to ballance weight across the car) and accept that the car must be filled more often, between eack short race. This is what we will be doing to start with.

As regards to filler points. I wish to leave the filling point as original and will replace the Le Mans caps with the dry brake system.

Best wishes and thanks for the info,

Robert

Just put a "modern" cap underneath the LeMans cap !
Easy !
Then you have safety and don´t spoil the appearance of the car !
My own opinion, but the caps take a large part of these cars appearances...
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Thanks for the link. I called ATL yesterday and told them I was considering upgrading my fuel tanks to bladders/cells. They said that the GT40 tanks on their web page were one-off custom deals that cost the car owner about $5,000
shocked.gif
. They also said that they would prefer not to do the metal fabrication work on my RF aluminum tanks (i.e., cutting tank open, removing baffles, re-sealing tank) and directed me to a local shop (www.ktrmotorsports.com) for that aspect of the upgrade. So I called KTR Motorsports and set up an appointment where I will bring them my tanks and let them work up a cost estimate to have them retrofitted as fuel cells.

Robert, I will let you know by email what they recommend. I want to do this for my own safety (and that of my passengers) and not to comply with the regulations of any racing organization. I know you recommend reinforcing the part of the cockpit where the filler tubes run along the chassis. I am assuming I can connect the upgraded tanks to the standard RF fuel system...anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks.

[ February 19, 2003: Message edited by: Mark Worthington ]

The biggest downsides to the ATL fuel cells is they only last 5 years and fumes have to be managed since there's a certain amount of outgassing.

Important information

Back