DRB GT40- x5 cars attend practice day at Willowbank

Heres some photos of ther x5 cars at the practice day at Willowbank - More photos and details in events section of this forum.
100-0005_IMG.jpg
101-0123_IMG.jpg

Great pictures! I have been debating between the standard rear section of the Gt40 vs. the flares. After seeing these pictures, I will certainly go with the rear-flared car when I decide to put down my order.

Hi Jon
Regarding the rear flaring - all the cars in the photos have standard rear ends. Some of the latest DRB's have wider rear ends to fit the wider tyres, but the 5 in the photos above are standard Mk1 shapes.
Denis Bedford (who designed the original DRB cars - worked on getting the shape as close as possible to the original Mk1 shape) Ill try to get a photo of the wider cars and post on here soon. (They look great - and very agressive!)

Ok - here goes - Ill try to post a movie from Willowbank. Its of Trevor Stevens in his black beast going past me on the home straight.
Its a good comparison of the sheer power difference between his fuel injected engine and my 302 carby. I must say it sounded might fine when he flew past - and Ill try to get an in-car movie next time.
twogts.mov
31.1.02.mov

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Hi Duane,

Thanks for the pics & movies - you must have had a great day out on the track. Am I right in thinking that the red car is yours - it looks superb. Are you using Simmons FR17 wheels, & if so, can you tell me what widths/offsets & tyre sizes you have (I am just about at that decision point with mine). Any hep from the experienced would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Peter D.
smile.gif

Duane,
Thanks for the info. The rears of the cars you posted certainly seem wider than the standard I've seen. I'd appreciate it if you could post the flared cars rear so I could compare.

G

Duane,

I too would appreciate the tire and offset information!

Thank you,

Peter

GT40 Australia built Duane Hart's DRB GT40 a couple of years ago.

We fitted Simmons FR16 x 8" wide and x 10" Front and Rear respectively. Offsets are as per the Build Manual. The tyres are also as per the Build Manual (Front 225-50VR16 and Rear 255-50VR16)

The standard DRB GT40 rear bodywork matches the earlier Mk 1 Race Cars and allows 10" wide wheels and at least 295-50 section tyres, while the super wide bodywork option, as used on the 1969 LeMans winning Ford GT40 allows 12" wide (up to 18" diameter) wheels and at least 335-35 section tyres.

The super wide bodywork is very popular and 5 out of the last 7 DRB GT40's built had that option.

Peter Ransom

Trying again - thought id post a movie from this years Noosa hill climb - herein Queensland Australia
This run is the first time id been up the hill-and was more of a familiarisation run .
The road hadnt been raced on for a year and was very slippery- and a couple of cars in in front of me had offs (one rolled and the other a right-off after hitting a tree) so excuse the tentative driving. I had two runs - but the batterys ran out on the video beforethe second run (pity as I had some good sideways action happening!) This season there will be a group of us racing GT40's here in Queensland at the local histric sprints and hillclimbs (Leyburn, Pittsworth, Noosa, Tweed) and I will attempt to mount the Sony handycam in a fast drivers car (Chris's yellow or Tim's gulf coloured car)
For those of you interested its shot by a sony digital camera mounted between the seats - with the microphone mounted in the cabin (trying to mount it in the engine bay - but the microphone keeps melting!
Also the rattling noise you can hear is the loose mounting bolt for the camera and not anything in the engine bay!)
Anyway heres the movie:

Noosa Movie

G

Mike,

I have drawings and specs for DRB offsets and settings. If you do not receive them before, I will scan and email them to you when I return home from my present business trip.

Lynn

Back