Earthquake in NZ

Just saw on the net that you guys had a 7.2 quake, just before 9:00 pm eastern time here. Near wellington.
I hope all are well and still among us.
Cheers
Phil

Never felt a thing..:), but then I live down south, that other island is in danger of slipping back into the sea if Maui's fishing line breaks, if it was near wellington maybe it did some good in the 'Bee Hive', some of the residents in that building could do with a shakeup..

Kevin Box

Supporter
Re: Earthquake in NZ - extract from news

A large earthquake in Wellington early this morning shook locals out of bed but there were no immediate reports of damage.

The tremor, measuring 5.2 in magnitude, hit at 2.10am, GNS Science reported.

It was centred 20km south of Wellington and was 30km deep.

It was followed by a 4.3 aftershock at 3.52am.

Police were inundated by 111 calls from people wanting more information on the quake but had no reports of damage, a central police communications spokesman said.

GNS Science duty seismologist Ken Gledhill said the first earthquake was felt from the Kapiti Coast to the top of the South Island.

More than 100 reports of shaking were received by the GeoNet website within 25 minutes of the earthquake.

The GeoNet website crashed briefly from heavy traffic following

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Not called the 'shakey isles' for nothing!

Our building code is fairly robust and many older buildings have been 'earthquake strengthened' (usually at great expense) to bring them up to spec. There are quite a few shakes like this throughout the year, you get used to them.

In saying that, extrapolating historical records, Wellington is years overdue for a disastrous quake of major proportions. It will happen, it's just a time bomb and there will be massive devastation. You wouldn't catch me living there for quids.

However as Jac Mac alluded, there is an upside, it's where the politicians occupy our seats of parliament. As always, nothings all bad. :thumbsup:

I remember attending a course in Wellington, an area which is well documented for minor quakes.

While in the lecture, we experienced a small shake. Being from near Ch-Ch I had not been in many quakes. So out of a room of 35 or so people, I was the only one to get off my chair and half slide under my desk.

So one else moved. But they all looked at me as if I was some sort of idiot.

That's Wellington for you.

Cam

Auckland, NZ

Back