Electric Vechicles Are Here - The world is rapidly going to S#@!

1 in 250 cars globally are electric, about 2% of new car sales, and less than 1% of registered cars, here in the US are the last numbers I saw.
What about when they are the majority of vehicles on the road?
A Tesla has 7k lithium cells. If one single cell short circuits, there's a high probability that the whole thing goes up in a chain reaction. This has occurred both spontaneously and as the result of accidents.

We've all been on the highway stuck in traffic, waiting for an accident to get cleared. How long to clear up a burning EV with no fire hydrants on most stretches of highway... When Hammond wrecked the Rimac, it reignited for days...

Screenshot_20210718-110002_Chrome.jpg

As opposed to "I wanna change an I'm willing to let my house burn"

Or "I wanna change and I'm willing to incinerate myself to prove it to
These things are not the same.

Torching the globe isn’t justifiable because occasional house fires.

The risk of automobile fires has always existed, and they happen now with gas-powered yard tools or cars. Swapping to electric won’t change that for better or worse.

These things are not the same.

Torching the globe isn’t justifiable because occasional house fires.

The risk of automobile fires has always existed, and they happen now with gas-powered yard tools or cars. Swapping to electric won’t change that for better or worse.
I see your point and it's a valid one, as long as it's true that internal cumbustion is, in fact, torching the world. My point is that EVs are currently a tiny percentage of vehicles, what happens when they are the majority?

And back to "saving the Earth", it has to involve China, India, and other major polluters IMHO.

3fd8aa61-7cf0-42cf-971c-165077ef66cb.jpg

b4d7084e-af02-11e7-8076-0a4bdda92ca2.jpeg

China is far worse than they have admitted - but we have to balance that against the fact that the western nations have obviously shipped a bunch of their manufacturing to China, so their manufacturing emissions are simply shifted elsewhere around the globe. Combined with obviously far more lax environmental protections (gotta keep widgets cheap! Keep profits high and shareholders happy!) this makes China a horrible polluter.

As far as choosing not to believe in anthropogenic climate change…well, you can lead a horse to hypoxic water, but you can’t make them drink.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
I think if you go through fire department records, you will find a surprisingly high occurrence number regarding garage fires caused by hot lawnmowers, weedeaters and fuel leaks from gasoline powered cars too.

But 99.99999999% of those can be traced to someone being CARELESS or negligent in one way or another.
Spontaneous combustion by Lithium ion batteries cannot be anticipated apart from the fact they're known to do so.
Wouldn't you agree there's quite a difference there, Randy?

As far as choosing not to believe in anthropogenic climate change…
I appreciate you framing it as "believe in"! Too many rabid global warming proponents (ie the marionettists pulling poor Greta's strings) frame it as fact rather than belief. To 'believe' that we can understand millenia of climate variations based on about 100 years of good data is preposterous.

I absolutely respect the reasonable people who care about the environment (as do I).

Do you honestly see no 'red flags'? Changing terminology, changing problems, changing 'Armageddon' times, etc.

Again, the biggest red flag to me is repeated fear mongering by those pushing this agenda. Look at many statements by the elites pushing global warming, and it's hard to differentiate them from statements made by the latest religious cult that's planning to catch a spaceship ride to another world.

Screenshot_20210719-103617_Chrome.jpg

Belief in climate change is not required. It is happening right now whether one “believes in it” or not.
No one that is literate is arguing about any change in the weather, or slight changes in global temperature. The reasonable argument is whether it is man made or we can't do a darn thing about it.
You cannot point to a single piece of evidence that confirms it is man made. The earth (ie the sun) does, however, go through cycles. That is indisputable.

Neil

Supporter
Has anyone read "The True Believer" by Eric Hoffer? I think he explains the zeal of the "sky-is falling" proponents very well.

But 99.99999999% of those can be traced to someone being CARELESS or negligent in one way or another.
Spontaneous combustion by Lithium ion batteries cannot be anticipated apart from the fact they're known to do so.
Wouldn't you agree there's quite a difference there, Randy?

Please provide a definition of “spontaneous”, and how many EV batteries fall under this category of self-immolation. I’ve been part of a drone/quad copter racing group for a long time, and the vast vast majority of failures occur due to improper charging. Many people charge their drone batteries in cinderblock enclosures or metal ammo cans. Those batteries are crashed, dropped, overheated and otherwise suffer abuse that cars shouldn’t though they can suffer the same fate if damaged.

I really don’t see EV batteries being any more of a risk than ICE vehicles when it comes to fires. The irony is that we in this group are more likely to suffer a fire per capita than a production line car. DIY wiring, combining non-standard components, DIY fuel systems, high stress use, and quality control is only as good as individual skill. How many DIY supercars go up in smoke vs the tens of thousands of boring domestic vehicles?

At any rate, there’s no more reason to fear EV than ICE - however, if I ever build a house, the garage will absolutely not be directly attached to the house. Garages are always a higher fire risk due to everything we discussed. Sparks, engines, fuels, chemicals, vapors… it’s all there.

Com
You cannot point to a single piece of evidence that confirms it is man made. The earth (ie the sun) does, however, go through cycles. That is indisputable.

Sun cycles - true. No evidence climate change is man made - completely false. The latter is only true if one actively avoids reading the evidence.

if I ever build a house, the garage will absolutely not be directly attached to the house.
You either live in a much nicer climate than me, or you don't have a wife.
On the bright side, I'm hearing that we're going to have Key West weather here in the upper Midwest by 2040? Or was it 2030?

They are already having death valley weather in Oregon,Washington and many other places. Dont worry you wont be left out.

The Swiss historian Christian Pfister described the events of 1540 in a newspaper interview:[5]

For eleven months, there was practically no rain, „temperatures were 5–7 °C (9.0–12.6 °F) above the normal values for the 20th century, in many places summer temperatures would have exceeded 40 °C (104 °F). Many forests in Europe went up in flames, choking smoke darkened the sun, not a single thunderstorm was reported in summer 1540. Water was already scarce in May, wells and springs dried up, mills stood still, people starved, animals were slaughtered.“[5] Estimates are that in 1540 half a million people died, mostly due to diarrhoeal diseases.„Everything began in northern Italy, with a winter that felt like a July. Not a single drop fell from October 1539 to early April 1540. Then the drought advanced north.“[5] July brought such an „ember-like heat that churches made prayers while the Rhine, Elbe and Seine could be crossed on a dry foot. Where there was still water, the warm broth acquired a green colour,“ Dead fish floated belly-up. „Water levels in Lake Constance sunk to record low levels, Lindau actually became connected to the mainland. Soon the surface water had completely evaporated, soils broke up, some dry cracks were so wide that a foot would fit into them.“„In Alsace fruit trees bloomed twice, in Lindau it was actually enough for a second cherry harvest. At Lake Constance wine soon became cheaper than water, and in Limoges winemakers were harvesting roasted grapes, from which they obtained sherry-like wine, which...made one quickly drunk.[5]

So what do you tell the European in 1540? Sounds a lot more cataclysmic than a localized heat wave...
Oh yeah, there's always this...

ry94zj3g.jpg

You either live in a much nicer climate than me, or you don't have a wife.
On the bright side, I'm hearing that we're going to have Key West weather here in the upper Midwest by 2040? Or was it 2030?

Lol, no. I live in NY. Like we’ve been discussing, I’ve seen too many garage fires result in destroyed homes. I can handle walking through a bit of snow or rain (I’m not a snow-hater, I love having seasons) to get to my car if it means a little extra safety. My wife’s on board with it too.

Lol, no. I live in NY. Like we’ve been discussing, I’ve seen too many garage fires result in destroyed homes. I can handle walking through a bit of snow or rain (I’m not a snow-hater, I love having seasons) to get to my car if it means a little extra safety. My wife’s on board with it too.
As long as it's not your retirement home! That .000001% decrease in chance of home fire will be offset by an astronomically higher risk of fracture from a fall on ice!

Back