Engine question

The engine block in the Ford GT is not the same production block as the 4.6Cobra engine. There are no parts that are interchangable. The 5.4 GT engine was all new from the ground up. Just like the 5.0 Cammer shares almost nothing with the standard 4V engine.
You can certainly buy one of these engines for your car and the earlier issues with the production engine aren't a concern.
The issue I believe is with everything driven off the noce of the crank and the 4 piece thrust bearing/washer, at high revs or high stress it's pulling up and forward on the crank causing the engine block to deform a little. Mind you it only takes .020"-.050" of distortion to wreak havac with the internals.
The facts that I stated are no big secret. For years friends of mine worked at Bondurants and I used to hear and see all the Cobra engines that they had to replace on a very regular basis. Even now, I was involved with a Miller Cup road race mustang with the current production 3 valve engine. It is a sealed engine series. Every weekend Ford engineers were going around and measuring the end play of the cranks. There were a few guys that went through 3 or 4 engines for the 8 race series. Pretty much everyone did replace an engine at some point, mostly because the engineers started saying there was to much end play in cranks. That kinda tells me it's still an issue.
I see many guys trailering home from the track with blown 4V engines. Even though the thrust bearing issues are bad the stock oiling issues are much worse.

I know that the original 4v Italian cast Teksid blocks are considered better, and i have read, can handle more HP; is there really a difference?

Tim
My info says hat 4.6 & 5.0 DOHC Modulars weigh 534# sinluding accessories (FI, alternator, etc) except exhaust
You might want to dig into ERA's vehicles, they have had several modular installs done by owners
I rember some CAD drawings in the past with a little detail
It's still easier with a SBF
Dennis

I believe you are correct SBF is much easier and "correct" I guess there is no reason a FI SBF can't be a very reliable and drivable option. As much as a carb looks good FI and electronic ignition has so many advantages I'm not sure I couild ever go back. I have even looked into installing some stacks on my old jag to retain the look of side draft webers but increase it's drivability and reliability. I know oxymoron when discussing old jags :) I love to tinker but would like to get more than a couple hours driving time in between tinkering sessions

If you want to build a mod motor there are a few good builders in the U.S besides S.H whos name amongst the mustang guys lately has not been that great. Roush builds a good motor and will do motors for anyone, Fox lake power products, Accufab/John Mahovitz out of Ca. I can give contact info to anyone that would like to get a qoute from roush as i know there head engine builder. There is also the Tymenskys which are up in the Lansing, mi area and they have been a major player in the Na Modular stuff for many years.

A 03-4 supercharged cobra motor will make 500rwhp with minor bolt ons.
A 07-10 Gt500 motor will make 750rwhp with a after market supercharger and about 550 rwhp with a pulley and tune. The 03-4 motors can be had for about 5500.00 and the gt500s sell for 10000-12500. Ford racing also sells a na 4.6 aluminator motor in long block form, and you could put a efi weber set up on it. and make about 400-450 hp depending on cams and compression. Roush makes a 5.4 based motor that they run in the Ford Gt race cars that Robertson and Maytek race. I would imagine its expensive but makes 550 na hp. A ford gt engine could also be used, but they are dry sump so you would have to incorperate that also. They range from 24-28 grand. They are bullet proof. Could also build a Na ford Gt motor with some killer na cams but you would still be in that 20000.00 with a webber setup.

Later Dan

Back