FE tach drive

Hi all,
I have got hold of a distributor for the FE with a maechanical take-off for a tach drive. Does anybody know where I can source the Ford take off gearing and cable that plugs into it. The tach I have is a Jones unit driven at 1/2 engine speed.

I assume it will be an optional part from the mid '60s Ford range but I can't seem to find an outlet that caters for it. Does anyone have any info?

Cheers

Craig

Your'e after my heart Craig. These are great items. I have a couple, 1 for a 302 and another for 351. The tach head is geared correctly for your application, all you need is a cable. Find a shop that does speedometer work and they will most likely be able to make one any length you want. Some of the parts houses here have them ready made and pre packaged, but probably too short for your specific application. The tach heads will accept rotation of the cable in either direction. The 1/2 gearing means the cable spins at half the crank speed (cam RPM & distributor speed) but will indicate the correct crank RPM. What brand is it?

Rick

Hi Rick,
thanks for the info, I'll try Speedy Spares over here in the UK.

The distributor is a NOS Ford service item and the tach itself is a Jones/Moroso unit the same as the Mk.II carried back in the 60's.

The distributor is a single point one but there should be no problems in converting it to dual point.

Thanks again

Craig

Hi again Rick,
do you have a link to one of the shops in the USA that has these listed (so I can get a photo of one for the speedo guys over here)

Cheers

Craig

Hi Rick,
thanks for the reply. Yes I am trying to make up a cable and need to see the mounting and drive from the cable to the FE distributor (standard Ford part). Needless to say these aren't an off the shelf item over here in the UK :( so I will need photos to take to the speedo guys here.

Cheers

Craig

The is the connection on the distributor if it helps a bit.

distributor1.JPG

Cheers

Craig

Back