Finally broke down and got something else.

It doesn't seem like Bruce wants to "just own" an SLC (having Fran build it or whatever). It sounds like he was looking forward to actually building it himself and recognizes he doesn't have time in his life right now. Deep down, that's got to be the #1 reason most guys pick one of Fran's cars. The joy and satisfaction of the build.
So he broke down and bought a daily driver in the meantime?!? Why talk a bunch of negative crap and run him away from the forum...? That is/was a dream that could have stayed alive and brought him back once his life allowed...
You guys can be real tools sometimes....

20 seconds faster,, that is quick, but is it a fair comparison? There are too many variables to really generalize that it's that much faster. The 01 car is a full up race car, with lots of down force, and sticky racing slicks. What did the GTR have? Was it essentially a street car doing a track day, or was it a race prepped car with full roll cage, racing tires, ect? Was this an actual race, or just on a track day? Just going from street tires to slicks could account for 5-10 seconds. Also, isn't the 01 driven by a professional race car driver. What kind of driver was in the GTR? If it was a track day, it's a good possibility it was just some guy that wanted to get his foot on the peddle with his car, and like a lot of guys that take their daily out for a track day, they are certainly not going to push every second.

The car at Autobahn was a caged race car, in slicks, in a race. I think he thought he was going to be a little closer to our times (and so did we, actually). I'm guessing we had a faster driver though. :)

The car at Summit was a track attack kind of car, with wings and such. Looked faster than it apparently was. I don't recall anything about the driver.

I'm sure someone like Mike Skeen in his old Hawk-sponsored Nissan GTR could get the most out of that car, and it would be interesting to see the differences between that car and driver, and him in the 01 on the same track on the same day. That would be an interesting comparo, IMO. I doubt that there would be such a difference in times (though his GTR is also a full race car as well, so it's more of a fair comparison.)

Nissan did and does what Ferrari does at the ring "bring a ringer to the track". That nismo is NOT a regular GTR as it has every race part from nissan (INCLUDING AERO) and STICKY tires (SINCE THAT WAS BROUGHT UP). The GTR was made for people with little to no driving skill. What the mechanicals of the car are capable of isn't in question it's and always seems to be that it's a remote controlled car that masks shitty drivers with all of the nanny aids. It's about as far remove from a Drivers car as anything could possibly be. This forum is all about BUILDING cars and more to the point about building cars that take real drivers to pilot. Its no wonder some on here are giving him a hard time be it as a friendly jab or not. Also seems like a lot of GTR fans that don't know about the Nissan Ringer cars or the videos of gtr's geting eaten up on anything with curves (remember my comment about the car masking shitty drivers). People that choose a gtr over any of the cars on here are not drivers per say. Look an m5 of e55 would have suited the OP'S stated needs MUCH better than an GTR any day. I have no dog in this fight but come on guys give the OP some respect and at least be honest with the guy about how you feel. A wise man once said MANY TRUTHS ARE SAID IN JEST.

Well said Jeff. :)

I was going to continue but this is just degenerating into another pointless uninformed trollfest and I am sure the OP has way more sense than to hang around here.

Good luck Bruce. Great car. Hope you get to build your SLC one day. :)
Why so many people feel threatened by your choice I have no idea, but I can guess... Of course I jest... ;)

Tim.

Last edited:
I agree, everyone should make the choice that best suites their needs. A GTR would make a nice daily driver, and with not having the time to build, a production car would be the best bet.

Something feels fishy about this:

There is a youtube somewhere of a Ron Simons taking an Ultima GTR 720, I believe around the ring (This was an actual test driver, the show/clip also starred Sabine Schmitz), I would think that these cars are very comparable in terms of performance to the SLC, there was light traffic, and he was still only able to get about 7:28 (IIRC) which is still blazingly fast, and yes the car was on street tires. So when the Nissan GTR Nismo does a 7:08, that says a lot for what technology can do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAuKkzhybF0

More HP and 1k lbs lighter yet it was faster? ..... Assuming drivers are of relatively decent and equal skill... something feels very off about that.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Really cool choice. You bought what made you happy...........I'm happy for you. Now in a few years when the GTR is getting boring you can pull the engine and..........wait for it.................put that baby in the back of a SLC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See...................... HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To those bellyaching about the GTR's performance, find a new PRODUCTION car that costs as much as a GTR that'll beat it around a track.... you won't, especially with bolt-ons like the OP is talking about. It won't beat an SLC but not many (if any) production cars will. Bottom line... a kit car does't always make sense to everyone in every situation and that's ok. There are some pretty awesome production cars that can fill the void for many.

People that choose a gtr over any of the cars on here are not drivers per say.

That's a pretty bold callout.

Believe it or not many people seriously couldn't give a toss what others think of their vehicle choices. Many people build/buy cars for their own personal needs and/or enjoyment, not so they can get their ego stroked by strangers in some parking lot.

Tim, thank you for posting this. Couldn't agree more and this is not said enough.

The OP is happy with his decision. If he becomes unhappy in the future, he has the ability to sell it and go with something else. If you guys enjoy spending time writing posts questioning someone's decision for purchasing a particular car, you have every right to do so and nobody can stop you; I don't, so I won't. Personally, I have never understood why people feel the need to question someone's decision like this. Clearly, Bruce knows a thing or two about cars and decided on the car that will be the best fit for him (not the strangers on an internet forum). We all have cars on are dream garage list that would make others shudder in disbelief... that's what makes us car guys. Who are we to judge?

Something feels fishy about this:

More HP and 1k lbs lighter yet it was faster? ..... Assuming drivers are of relatively decent and equal skill... something feels very off about that.
That's definitely a result of the driver. Until Fran flies an SLC out to Germany, we won't know for sure :evil: However, I've always imagined a well sorted SLC to be somewhere near (or slightly behind) the Radical times and an equivalent Ultima to be close behind an SLC.

marc

Lifetime Supporter
I know this will seem a flame, but this is Fran's discussion area, I feel bad that he missed a business opportunity. So many kit car companies come and go, mostly due to small nature of the business. Growing up, I desparately wanted a manta as I loved the lola look. That company has come and gone and come back again. This business, every sale is a continuation of the company to more and better things. Without those of us that 25k to 70k or more to get a car from Fran, the SLC would still be a dream. Trolls are those that talk without realy knowing facts. I laid down my cash and supported Fran (sight unseen fyi), there were other companies that offered similar but the product wasn't to my expectation. I had even flown to England to see one of the companies. So you understand that I hope more and more people buy from Fran and keep the cars rolling out of his factory, means a quality kit car builder will stay in business, provide for the many people that work there. Lets face it a little known kit car business jumped into F1 (Caterham) so support your dream and the company that provides that dream. I have another car on order and hope to have it shipped soon. And I may get the LMP1 if I can talk my wife into it.

As for a ride around Nurburgring, I laugh, the car has half the weight, twice the downforce, and 3/4 of the HP. It should smoke the GTR there. Also you can look and see matching some of the local tracks that an GTR against an SLC runs, if your lucky and can talk someone into a ride, it will be one you won't EVER forget. One last thing, since the SLC is a kit car, comparing will be next to impossible for every SLC is not the same in the engine/trans dept.

I know this will seem a flame, but this is Fran's discussion area, I feel bad that he missed a business opportunity. So many kit car companies come and go, mostly due to small nature of the business. Growing up, I desparately wanted a manta as I loved the lola look. That company has come and gone and come back again. This business, every sale is a continuation of the company to more and better things. Without those of us that 25k to 70k or more to get a car from Fran, the SLC would still be a dream. Trolls are those that talk without realy knowing facts. I laid down my cash and supported Fran (sight unseen fyi), there were other companies that offered similar but the product wasn't to my expectation. I had even flown to England to see one of the companies. So you understand that I hope more and more people buy from Fran and keep the cars rolling out of his factory, means a quality kit car builder will stay in business, provide for the many people that work there. Lets face it a little known kit car business jumped into F1 (Caterham) so support your dream and the company that provides that dream. I have another car on order and hope to have it shipped soon. And I may get the LMP1 if I can talk my wife into it.

As for a ride around Nurburgring, I laugh, the car has half the weight, twice the downforce, and 3/4 of the HP. It should smoke the GTR there. Also you can look and see matching some of the local tracks that an GTR against an SLC runs, if your lucky and can talk someone into a ride, it will be one you won't EVER forget. One last thing, since the SLC is a kit car, comparing will be next to impossible for every SLC is not the same in the engine/trans dept.

Plus 1.

I bought a Superlite Razor, sight unseen. Because I had neither the time nor the tools, I had it built. I've had quite a few cars already, but NOTHING compares to the way the Razor drives out here on the tracks and canyon roads. I've driven a 458, Vipers, had a Vette, Porsche 911 4S, bikes, etc. Anyways, nothing came close to the ultra responsive handling of the Razor. It literally felt like I could swivel the car around my hips in the corners, if I wanted to get it sideways.

I'm realigning my life right now, post military, via school. I'll be back in another RCR. The question is: Which one???

My comment wasn't a call out BUT a matter of fact. The only way that car does what it does is because of the electronics / nanny aids. It doesn't take a good driver to pilot one because again the cars mechanical and electronics mask a lot which makes a average driver seem amazing but put them in a different car and you get a very different outcome. I'm not saying the op isn't a good driver; heck he may be a pro driver in disguise but that doesn't take away anything about what I said. Exceptions never prove a rule only test it. With that GL to the op and may you clock many trouble free miles.

Building models when you were young. It was the glue back then that made us all "nuts" about cars. The modern glue has no buzz factor anymore...........

I think it's kind of funny posting in the RCR area you didn't buy from him. Also you didn't buy a gt40 at all. That's like going on a Nissan site and saying I finally bought my GT40. Just my 2 cents. GTR's are nice cars but what does that have to do with the price of tea in China.

^ Understood that it's a tad strange for me to post here about my decision but I am a car guy after all and on a few forums. For example I'm on the corvette forums not for an actual vette but more for that parts that I might source. The Z01 has CCM rotors that I'm trying to fit on my GTR is another great example. Just because I don't own a vette doesn't mean I shouldn't learn from their forums. I appreciate all forms of cars and really love what Fran is offering. I'm now actually leaning towards getting a Nemisis after tracking my GTR some. While the GTR is a monster on the street it's not exactly a great track car. The weight alone makes taking speed into corners a scary situation. I'm still in the market for and RCR product thus the reasons why I still frequent this forum. Now with regards to the Nemisis, I read that it will accept tires roughly the width of a corvette. Does anyone know how wide of a wheel/tire will fit? Judging by specs it appears that the Nemisis might actually be a more capable track car compared to the SLC. Am I missing something here? I do like how the Nemisis looks like minimal build time being roughly 100+ hours over the SLC builds. Please fill me in here.

Back