Finding a pre75 302 block

Couple on eBay UK at the moment:-

Eddy thanks for the heads up, the short block is now mine

Brilliant! Now...what are your plans for it?
Strip, Magnaflux crack check, core plugs out, oil gallery bungs out & tap ready for threaded bungs, rod bolt stroker clearance grind to bottom of cylinders, acid dip, then lay it up for a while until i am ready to go further, i haven't ordered my 40 chassis yet but as finding one of these was clearly going to take some time, i decided to buy the engine as soon as i could find one so it doesn't hold me up when i can finally put my order in.

I will be building a 331 or 347 (I've not decided yet based on rod ratios) on carb/s so currently going through research on head/cam selection options of which there are too many lol...i have read many many posts on here about hp/torque figures suitable for this car and the varying opinions are great to read and this is an excellent place for so much info but i don't think I've ended up with a solution that is exactly what i want

What do i want.......... good/strong low range, strong midrange and still decent legs @6000/6500. Lumpy idle in my opinion sounds better so would like this without sacrificing too much low end. i also want around 450hp, some say this is too much some don't, i am in the camp that says its not, I've been lucky enough to test drive high performance cars around the world so am familiar with having to pay attention to what I'm doing behind the wheel and this wouldn't take away the fun of driving it for me. However it still needs to be tractable and 'reasonable' in traffic as this is a road car with the odd track days in mind. Would this be asking too much of a 331? i don't know, if anyone has the answer I'm all ears especially with cam/head selection which go hand in hand.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
450hp from a 331 is doable, but you’re going to sacrifice some low speed torque and driveability in order to run a cam profile that will deliver at higher RPMs in my opinion. Also, the stock Ford blocks have a terrible reputation for cracking through the main webs when pushed over 400 HP for extended periods. You can easily build a 331 pump gas engine that will produce 410-415 hp / 425-430 TQ under 6,000 RPM and unless you are ringing its neck continually at the track, it should last you many years. I’ve never been a fan of stock block 347’s due to the reasons listed above.
The engine I built for my GT40 was a pump gas 331 with Webers that produced 415hp / 430tq - idled reasonably well with a mild lope and had a very flat torque curve. I liked it so much, I just built another one very close in specs for my 33 Ford Street Rod.
Edit - link to my build page with engine info follows:: http://www.gt-forty.com/GT-Forty/DRIVELINE/Pages/Engine.html

Last edited:
450hp from a 331 is doable, but you’re going to sacrifice some low speed torque and driveability in order to run a cam profile that will deliver at higher RPMs in my opinion. Also, the stock Ford blocks have a terrible reputation for cracking through the main webs when pushed over 400 HP for extended periods. You can easily build a 331 pump gas engine that will produce 410-415 hp / 425-430 TQ under 6,000 RPM and unless you are ringing its neck continually at the track, it should last you many years. I’ve never been a fan of stock block 347’s due to the reasons listed above.
The engine I built for my GT40 was a pump gas 331 with Webers that produced 415hp / 430tq - idled reasonably well with a mild lope and had a very flat torque curve. I liked it so much, I just built another one very close in specs for my 33 Ford Street Rod.
Edit - link to my build page with engine info follows:: http://www.gt-forty.com/GT-Forty/DRIVELINE/Pages/Engine.html
Randy thank you, points taken

Not sure if anyone is still looking for a 302 but one currently on Facebook Marketplace UK

Back