Fire Extinguisher Plumbed Into Cockpit

Shaun

Supporter
Afternoon all
Looking at systems , most seem to have cockpit as well as engine bay, just wondered thoughts as if cockpit is needed in a road car?
The Lifeline Zero 360 has two outlets one for engine bay and one for cabin but if I just did engine I guess that one would have to be blocked off?
I could go hand held but am a big chap so getting out the car and opening the rear clam in the event of a fire would, even with panic, not be a quick task.
Cheers

Howard Jones

Supporter
Electrical fire in cockpit? Hand held might be better for that if you can master turn off battery. You have a master switch? IMHO it is a must have.
If you don't use the second nozzle in the cockpit I would put two in engine room.

If you have a hand held I would recommend what is called a "Clean Agent" type. These types do not leave a powder or liquids to clean up. This in very important up under the dash board for example. Here is a example but I have no first hand knowledge of this particular vendor or product but it does have some good information.

In any case the dry chemical white power kind (cheap) can be more of a cleanup problem than a minor electrical overheated wires type incident leaving you to make a decision whether to use it quickly in a stressful moment.

I do commend you on your decision to install a fire system. Great choice! This one of my personal crusades. EVERY ONE OF THESES CARS SHOULD HAVE ONE!!!!!!!!!!!

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Tough question. A fully enclosed cockpit with all fuel behind the firewall/glass would seem to be less needful of a cockpit retardant system, then say a car that is open cockpit with over 50 psi of fuel less than 2 ft from your head with no clear barrier.

Dan Kasten

Supporter
Electrical fire in cockpit? Hand held might be better for that if you can master turn off battery. You have a master switch? IMHO it is a must have.
If you don't use the second nozzle in the cockpit I would put two in engine room.

If you have a hand held I would recommend what is called a "Clean Agent" type. These types do not leave a powder or liquids to clean up. This in very important up under the dash board for example. Here is a example but I have no first hand knowledge of this particular vendor or product but it does have some good information.

In any case the dry chemical white power kind (cheap) can be more of a cleanup problem than a minor electrical overheated wires type incident leaving you to make a decision whether to use it quickly in a stressful moment.

I do commend you on your decision to install a fire system. Great choice! This one of my personal crusades. EVERY ONE OF THESES CARS SHOULD HAVE ONE!!!!!!!!!!!
Howard,
A little off topic but I have a question. I have a GTD that has the original Halon system in the front and back of the car, the system is untouched except for the Halon bottle that is now illegal to use. Is there another type of retardant that I can use in place of the Halon.

Shaun

Supporter
Hi Howard
Yes master switch will be installed in the cockpit, as you say a must have, the cable will go directly from the battery to the switch through the bulkhead with a very large grommet (no chance of it chaffing that way and shorting before the switch).
Agree re a non powder and that Halotron seems good, like the video, must be an old one though, that PC has a 5 1/2" floppy drive :)
The young of today will never know how lucky they are!!
My concern of having a nozzle in the cockpit is flooding to cockpit with the gas when I am kin there and I reckon most fires will be engine bay based, I am going for IDA fuel injection so should alleviate some of the issues of fuel pooling.
For the money spent a few hundred on a system is a no brainer in my book.
I guess I could squeeze one in front of the passenger seat on the floor? Or maybe between the seats
Cheers

I am not sure that Halon is illegal to use or have, I don't think so as we still use it in the fire service. Halatron is its basic replacement but imo it does not work as well, I would be careful in an enclosed cockpit as its method of extinguishment is to remove the oxygen from the fire. The older server rooms used it but code required scba in the room incase of a discharge with people present. I have not seen a server room with Halon for years they are using Halatron or other types. No dry chemical I have only used it once on a car fire and immediately washed everything down with water because its so caustic to electrics and it seem everything else it cleans aluminum very well. When it comes to foam afff aqueous film forming foam we use it at the airport on our crash rigs but it will be phased out in the future because its caustic and run off into the water ways is becoming a big problem with fish and wildlife. I build my own systems using Halon but only for the engine compartment and will make sure the car is at a stop or as close as possible. It comes out as a gas and if I am at speed it will all blow away and not work as intended. I agree with Howard. I know systems can be expensive but good for you to be installing one. every vehicle I have has an extinguisher mounted in it. I have been in the fire service my whole adult life I like having it and not needing it........m

Neil

Supporter
Shaun;

It is a good idea to have your battery switch also accessible from the outside of the car and have its location clearly marked. This way rescue workers or even spectators will know where the switch is located. A cockpit switch is handy for the driver or passenger but others may not know there is a battery cut- switch inside the car.

I used a Moroso high current switch but I finally removed and discarded the original switch knob and fabricated an aluminum arm that fits on the switch shaft. There is a push rod that extends to the nose of the car and one that extends into the cockpit. This way the battery can be switched on or off from either place.

Attachments

• Cockpit Battery Switch Control.jpg
    Cockpit Battery Switch Control.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 308
  • Battery Switch- Actuator Arm.jpg
    Battery Switch- Actuator Arm.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 300
  • Battery Switch- Modified.jpg
    Battery Switch- Modified.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 275

Shaun

Supporter
Looking at the Lifeline Zero 360 as a system, I did speak to them about the ability not to plumb to the cockpit, they were not all that helpful, did send an installation manual and said it must be done to that spec for FIA approval even though I said it was a road car only, they had no answer really so I think what I will do is use the T piece and run a pipe down each side to cover both sides of the engine bay. Not a cheap item but then not a cheap car!!!

Back