Fitting in a CAV

Does anyone know what the max height is to fit into a CAV? I'm 6ft 4in tall. Will I be able to fit with the Gurney Bubble? FACT5RACR, I know you are about 6ft tall. Is it a tight squeeze for you, or do you fit okay?

Thanks guys.

In my monocoque car I fit, but barely. I am 6' 2". You can take out the seat adjuster brackets, which I have not done, and bolt the seat to the floor to get another inch.

As a final possibility you can bolt a race seat to the floor with expanding foam fit to your body shape. This could reduce the thinkness of the seat bottom.

Ian Clark

Supporter
At 6'4" there's gotta be a lot cars you can't fit into!

The CAV can be adjusted to provide ample leg and head room. With the pedals at the shortest setting, the seat full forward, it means for me to fully depress the clutch I'm on my toes. Ok I'm only 5"8" however I've had lots of tall test drivers in the CAV GT40, it works.

If shortening the seat mounts isn't enough, we'll install drop pans below the seats to give more headroom. Ad the Gurney bubble and you're in:) A quick release steering wheel would also be a good idea for you NBA types.

After all that, you will be impressed with the ride, the CAV monocoque is one solid piece.

Well, I am 6 ft and 200 lbs and here is what I have been experiencing. Strictly street use if I remove the rear pad in the back of the seat I can be comfortable up to around 2 hours. To run on the track I have to remove all the pads and use a helmet that I do not mind scratching the hell out of on the top. I have a custom fiberglass seat in it now but the back is way too flat. I am gonna cut out the middle back portion tomorrow and foam fill the entire back in with that 2 part foam that I got from Pegasus. I will let you know how that works out. I am also replacing my rear glass packs with the stainless steel mufflers that the car came with seeing I installed a cd player in it.

Fact5,

Would you mind sharing the mounting location, type, etc. of your
CD player/speakers? I am looking for ideas on doing the same.
Any photos would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Bill

Gary,

The doors are the obvious spot for speakers, but where do you put a CD player/stereo, without hacking up the dash, and ruining the "look"? Under dash or on the floor, wouldn't be an option for me either. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
I was thinking about a multiple CD, remote unit, under the front clip,and was wondering whether anyone has gone that route, with a weatherproof/heat resistant enclosure.
I haven't been able to find a stand alone unit, that doesn't require an existing FM stereo, or that doesn't have an in dash head unit, itself.
BTW,have you installed a stereo in your car yet?
Sorry to get off the original topic!

Bill

Hi Bill, for the radio/cd optiion, have you looked into a company called "secret audio" (I will have to send you the web address from home). They have some great "hidden" options with wirless remote controls that would fit, basically, anywhere you wanted to put them (I think they even had small remotes that could be mounted with velcro (sp?) type tapes).

dave

I will post pics soon. I just soundproofed the interior a little more and replaced the glass packs withthe "stock" stainless steel mufflers. I also foamed in the fiberglas seat I made and will hopefully road test it tomorrow night. I removed the door panels (inserts) and fabricated a new panel with 6.5 inch pioneer speakers in them. For the head unit I used a new Panasonic head unit that has the disappearing face and mounted it in the front portion of the driver's door panel. It looks cool and when you shut it off it sort of disappears.

I am 6ft 1 and have no problem without a helmet. In reality, it really depends on whether your height is in your trunk or legs.

The car has been designed for drivers of up to 6ft 4, but it really depends on the above! If you asked me to guess, I would say with the pedal box forward, seat runners out and a gurney bubble - you should have no problem.

Good luck!

Rick

As for the CD player. I like the sound of the bundle of snakes that came with the CAV. I use a SONY Walkman and put the speekers in my ears. Just a simple and cheep option. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Joe

Bill, Here is a photo of where I have my CD player (driver door). For those of you that are thinking about a CD player, make sure you get the "right" unit. My original AIWA MP3 although had a great sound could not take the harsh ride of GT. Sony CDX-mp70 line is great for harsh rides will not skip! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Attachments

• 27425-sterio2.JPG
    27425-sterio2.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 408
Marty,

There are 3 of us in the TriValley area 30 minutes east of Oakland. Let us (Dennis, Bud and I) know If you come up. It would be great If we all can hook up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Sounds good, though the likelihood of me being able to sit in a GT40 for 5 - 6 hours straight is pretty low!!!Maybe with ear plugs...

I'll definitely be in touch, should I get up there, though.

Marty

And Bud has done this with 4.11 final drive /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
So Marty you got no excuse /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Back