Ford unveils New GT Gulf Livery...#1075 is in attendance!

Kim Haun

Supporter
Ford unveiled the new GT Gulf livery for 2019 & 2020 at Laguna Seca at the Rolex Reunion races on Friday. Chassis #1075, winner of 1968 & 1969 Le Mans was on hand as well as a 2006 GT in the Gulf livery. All 3 cars did a 2 lap run around the track together. A great surprise for me, as I'm currently building an RCR GT 40 which will have the Gulf paint scheme. A great opportunity to see and photograph #1075 for design points. I had NO idea it was happening, just went to hang out at the races. Thanks Ford for arranging it
IMG_3492.jpg
IMG_3504.jpg
!

Kim

Neil

Supporter
KIm;

Thank you for the photos. Do you know if anyone has painted their GT40 with orange and the original Gulf shade of dark blue?

Kim Haun

Supporter
KIm;

Thank you for the photos. Do you know if anyone has painted their GT40 with orange and the original Gulf shade of dark blue?
There were 4 GT40s participating in the race.(#1075 was not one of them, for obvious reasons) One was painted in the original Gulf dark blue. Unfortunately, I didn't get a full size shot of it. Here's what I got:
IMG_3450.jpg

Neil

Supporter
Thank you for the photo, Kim. I think John Horsman mentions why the blue color was changed from dark blue to powder blue in his book "Racing In The Rain".

Shaun

Supporter
Neil I have a feeling Paul Bav is doing his the darker shade of blue, its a really smart colour scheme

Neil

Supporter
Thank you, Shaun. Dark blue and orange were the original Gulf Oil Corporation colors but it was decided that the dark blue "didn't photograph well" on a GT40 so they adopted the powder blue and orange colors of a Gulf subsidiary in California.

Dwight

RCR GT 40 Gulf Livery 347 Eight Stack injection
Does anyone have the paint codes?
The body shop that is painting my car ordered a sample of the PPG60812 orange. Very ugly color. Nothing like the pictures I have.
Is there another orange or do I have the wrong paint code? Did the paint store mix the wrong color?

I need help

Thanks
Dwight

Back