Front brake ducting

Can you believe it, sifting through my LM classic '08 pics i came across this..

Attachments

• original duct.JPG
    original duct.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 423

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Guys,

I believe the MK1's (solid, non vented rotors) used a duct that wrapped around both sides of the rotor but, the MK11's and cars with vented rotors used a duct that brought air to the center inside of the rotor and let the air escape through the slot periphery (see Keith's pic above).

I believe you are correct - However - In the search for best brake cooling, I've discovered one of the quicker ways to fracture a rotor is to provide imbalanced cooling.
I.E. Cool the Inside braking surface of a ventilated rotor but not the outside of the rotor..
The absolute best cooling scenario would be to route two or more air ducts - 1 to the inside of the ventilated rotor and one that would split the air between inside and outside braking surfaces.

Sorry for the thread drift Simon. I wish I had what you needed.. I think Eglitom has posted what you ultimately needed to know..

RichardH

AKA The Mad Hat Man
I know this is an old thread - but just a quick Q...
I notice that all the air take-offs are mounted on the sidewall. Is there any reason why all of the air from those intakes could not be routed to the brakes or cabin, or is only a small air flow required? I was thinking of using those intakes as a forced air supply into the cabin and was thinking of making a moulding that covered the rear of the intakes, rather than just taking a small bleed from them and allowing any excess? pressure to escape back into the wheel well, thereby keeping a positive pressure into the cabin.

I dont know if that makes sense. Hopefully yu will understand.

Back