front lower balljoint? gtd.

hi people, i have standard gtd front wishbones, using cortina mk3 balljoints. i read that the mk3 granada upright had a better ackerman angle than mk2 granada uprights. so i got some mk3 ones and a top hat set up to go where the strut went, so they can be used in a double wishbone set up.
but the granada lower taper is too small for the balljoint!!
anyone else had this problen? is there other lower balljoints that fit the gtd arms? do i have to ream the upright? hmmm........
help and suggestions appreciated, cheers, glen

Glen:

Reaming ball joint and tie rod tapers is common in oval track applications here in the states. You just have to calculate the taper you need and purchase the correct reamer. They sell 7° and 10° reamers are commonly used here.
If you could borrow one it would be more locost:lol:

cheers dave, but i can't tell if the angle's different.......the thread won't fit through the hole!!!!
so i need info about cortina and granada mk1/2, cortina mk3 and transit balljoints, and the uprights.
i really need an "oldskool" ford parts person!!

Glen:
I had a similar problem, my local parts supplier had listings for the ball joints I wanted to use, with minor and major diameters and height dimensions for the bolts. A little math and we found the taper then just follow Dave's advice and you should have no problem. Just go slow with the reamer and check your fit often so as not to go too deeply and expose too much thread and the taper or you will not get a fit before the nut bottoms.
Cheers
Phil

cheers phil. i think i'll try part no qsj711/vl711/bbj711, in fact, lots of ball joint part numbers ending in 711 are for mk1/2 granada but have the same bolt pattern as the cortina part i have, which ends 663. they must be different, or they would list the same cars in the "suitable for" section! oooh wonders of the net!!!

Back