Front suspension lift

That's actually not a bad idea Ryan, on or 2 soda stream bottles would work perfectly.
Not having a pump would be kinda risky though.. you'de have to count the number of speed bumps on you planned route :)

I’m planning on having a fire extinguisher setup anyway but if I went down the tank route then it would be disguised as best as possible.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
How about a small pony bottle for scuba diving with a regulator. It would only need to be charged once a year since it holds 2000psi. No compressor needed.

How about a small pony bottle for scuba diving with a regulator. It would only need to be charged once a year since it holds 2000psi. No compressor needed.

It depends how much air is required to lift the suspension cups to how long it would last. But yes you’d think it would last a while.
Trickier to refill for me though - being based at probably the most inland location in the UK haha, just checked the nearest is 30-40 minutes from me. Also would have to make sure the valve and regulator would be up to the game of holding that pressure. If that failed it would blow the cups to kingdom come.

I dont think an air tank is needed, I am running an airlift 5000 airbag system on my F250 with just a Viair 440 pump and it raises quick enough, even with the camper in the back.
You don't need 8 Bar air pressure total to lift a GT40. Single pump will reach 2 to 3 Bar very quick which will be sufficient to raise the air cups to the max

Chris, my lift system is now fully operational. It lifts very fast as expected. 3-4 seconds in the front. When I want to lift the rear immediately after, it just takes 1 sec. (The compressed air in the front cups is now a buffer that fills the rear very fast).

I'll share some pictures and maybe even a video if I can figure it out. I'm very happy with the performance and the fitment to be honest. 2 very small buttons hidden away that nobody will notice.

Only thing is the noise. A compressor like this is quite a ruckus. Then again, I've only tested it with the motor off.. maybe I should try to see if a 302 rumble can overpower the compressor.

As promised, some pictures.
In the front, perfect fitment, in the rear I had to manufacture a suspension arm with a 'waist'. This was made out of billet high strength steel, and my buckling and strength calculations show its just as stiff and strong as the original piece.

IMG-2170.jpg unnamed.jpg IMG-2242.jpg

There is a video of a test run on Youtube, see link below. The lift and 'drop' on the front is fast and went well. You can see that in the rear, it did rise, but the vent speed control valve on the solenoid was shut completely. Did not deflate, did not drop. :)

CAV GT40 lift test

Last edited:
Back