Fuel pump discussion.

Does anyone have any information about the Stewart Warner 240-A to complete the list.
GPH Free flow, GPH at max pressure, GPH at the pressure setting they where running?

And did all GT40's had the 240-A as in mk1 289 Quad Webers, mk2 427 single Holley & dual Holley and mk IV ?
I know the BHP levels back in the day where way less then they are archieving now with these engines.

1592974860285.png

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
JP
Do you see the slot in the body in front of the lower scoop? On some cars they were fitted to feed cool air in and around the pumps to help the pumps run cooler.

Ian

Bad luck with the Carter P4600HP pumps.
3 brand new units, one does 8 psi, the other two barely 3psi on the same gauge. Have read the same review on the world wide web so they are out.

Neil

Supporter
That is really disappointing news. Carter vane pumps used to be excellent, I wonder if they have now outsourced their manufacturing to Lower Slobovia?

That is really disappointing news. Carter vane pumps used to be excellent, I wonder if they have now outsourced their manufacturing to Lower Slobovia?
I bought all three at once from Rockauto, and all three differ in details. Two have a side decal, one don't, one has stamped "made in USA" the others don't.
Just ordered a pair of Holley Red pumps now.

Had me fighting the whole weekend. Both fuel tanks flow 40GPH/150literhr free flow measured (two liter in 48seconds). Both pumps sits behind the fuel tank at fuel level with just 4in line between tank & pump. Pressure measured at the outlet of the pumps using the same gauge to be sure..

GT40's can make a man alcoholic... two days struggeling in fuel fumes ain't a recommendation also.

Bill Kearley

Supporter
O darn, I just installed that very Carter pump in the Cobra. I did think it strange their where no branding on the packaging.

Bill Kearley

Supporter
Good to know these things. Amazon will be getting it back If it dont perform. Then the question. I buy parts and such during a build but they don't get put to use untill I start the car and check things over, could be some time. Warranty on things becomes a question.

Then the question. I buy parts and such during a build but they don't get put to use untill I start the car and check things over, could be some time. Warranty on things becomes a question.
Thats my issue also, bought those three pumps about 2 years ago, They never saw fuel until last weekend prepping the engine for its first fire up.

Gale

Supporter
This seems like a good time to ask about the Edelbrock power package dual quad setup that is on my FE. The guys at Edelbrock told me that I could use the 1791 fuel pump to run my engine. It is rated at 120 GPH. 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 to run the carbs. I would like to have a look more what was seen on the cars back in the day and I don't intend to race the car, a bit of track day stuff but its intended to be a street car. I've been looking but I don't know what would be a good substitute for the one large pump. Do two pumps make twice the GPH such as the Facet pumps that Chuck went to on his car? I've been looking and comparing pumps and it just showed me that I have a lot to learn.
Gale

Back