Fuel tank location

Bart Roberts

Supporter
I know the purest are running twin tanks in the rockers per original. What have others done? Is anyone running a single fuel cell? What size and where did you mount it?
Thanks,
Bart

Early KVA's had a single fuel tank.
1593668757274.png

My early KVA has twin tanks mounted in the original position. Early cars like mine had them wherever you wanted to put them as they did not come with instructions. Ken Atwell`s opinion was that if you needed instructions you shouldn`t be building one.

Bart Roberts

Supporter
My early KVA has twin tanks mounted in the original position. Early cars like mine had them wherever you wanted to put them as they did not come with instructions. Ken Atwell`s opinion was that if you needed instructions you shouldn`t be building one.

Thanks for the reply.

I've been building cars for nearly 30 years (first GT40). Only a fool proceeds with a build without researching what others have done.....there is no reason that one can't learn from others mistakes (or success). I may go with the normally accepted rocker tanks, but I'd like to consider some options.

I wasn`t criticising Bart, just repeating Ken`s comments. I`ve never much liked the tanks being where I put them but i can`t easily change that now. It was so long ago now but Ken`s original didn`t have them in the sides like mine I don`t think?

Bart Roberts

Supporter
To me, I'm not sure how much I like having the fuel tank in my escape route. I know it's "authentic" but only my body will be authentic. I'm building to drive and enjoy, little to no track use. A/C, etc.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
One would think that, even if some other location WERE available (which there really isn't if only due to the very limited amount of fuel that could possibly be stored there), the weight balance of the car (and probably its C.G.) would likely be thrown off.

But, no matter where you might choose to put the tank(s), Bart, the undeniable reality is you'd still be sitting in a potential Molotov cocktail in the event of a wreck anyway. Many may chose to deny that, but, reality is what it is.

Locating a tank in the nose (as per the links Paul posted above) would appear to create another "Ford Pinto" situation...just on the other end of the car.

JMPO. OMV.

Thats a blast from the past, I remember that article now. I contacted the chap who owned the Mirage bodywork in the barn behind when I thought of building one to race. He said he wanted to build one himself so the answer was no

As far i know, my car, should have been built by them late 1982 or beginning 1983
my fuel tanks where tringle shape in the side pontons...
tanks where connected at the rear and one fuel sender...

Attachments

• IMG_0686.jpeg
    IMG_0686.jpeg
    938 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_0688.jpeg
    IMG_0688.jpeg
    256.5 KB · Views: 248
As far i know, my car, should have been built by them late 1982 or beginning 1983

Well, KVA build his first replica for Ford, end of 1982. The one with a XR3 CVH engine.
Production of the "A" type chassis did not start before 1984/85 and the "C" type chassis did come much later.
So your registration date is like many............ doubtfull..
My KVA "B" type chassis has a 1981 date......... Have seen KVA's with a '68 date...........what can I say..

The late Ken Attwell was a Ford employee who had access to GT40/M3/1107, the Mark 3 that has been owned by Ford of Britain since new. He built it with an XR3 (carburettor) CVH engine as mentioned above, it was also turbocharged. It was Kens personal car not a Ford project. He was a talented guy who was involved in other projects & restorations too.

Back