Fuel tanks on ERA

After many years, I have finally completed my ERA. I have run into a problem, however, and hope someone else may have an answer. Filling the fuel tanks, at least here in California, is a major investment in time. If you are pumping gas in a regular gas station, the pump continually shuts off, and it takes about 30 minutes to fill one tank.

Has anyone else run into this problem, and does anyone have a solution?

CliffBeer

CURRENTLY BANNED
Do you have vent lines installed? The problem you're describing is pretty common with tanks not fitted with a vent line. You're not the only one on this forum who experiences the slow-to-fill phenomenon. I'd suggest checking with ERA guys to see if there is a vent kit you can install, and if not, how you might go about engineering one. Good luck!

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Cliff is probably right, in California, the nozzle is equipped with a vapor pickup which turns off the nozzle when a certain amount of back pressure is detected (at least, that's what my understanding of the way they work, what I know?).

In any case, when filling my tanks I have to first turn the nozzle 180 degrees (upside down) just to get the nozzle to get down inside the fill neck, then I hold the vapor pickup manually in a position to allow the nozzle to operate but not against the fill neck. This allows the vapors to bypass into the atmosphere and not into the vapor pickup. (hope the EPA doesn't come looking for me:D )

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Another cause can be if the tank is filled with explosafe foam or similar.

There should be a hole left in the foam to allow filling or you are filling by getting the fuel to gravity feed through a 2 inch hole/ backed with sponge.

I believe a broomstick forced through the filler into the foam to create a bit of a cavity (Then removing the broomstick) helps.

Ian

Contacting Bob Putnam at ERA will surely be helpful. Bob has a forum on Club Cobra in the Mfgrs. area also.

Sounds familiar although in my area there are no vapor collection systems on the fuel nozzles. Turn the nozzle upside down and aim it down the filler's throat at just the right angle or it will belch gas back out the filler throat. Even so, the fill speed can't be all the pump has...or the same thing will happen. Pulling into a pump with the front of the car going uphill a little helps.
I've been to CA a few times and can see the vapor collector on the nozzle being in the way.

There is usually one or more folks that want to look while I'm filling the car, so I usually don't notice the time so much.

Dave

Dave's right. We have the vapor collectors here in Houston and on my ERA if I flip it so the nozzle is inverted so the handle is pretty much vertical, it wont kick the shut-off. But, still slow going.

Chuck

Thanks for all the good advice. I will give it a shot, and let you know if it works.

Michael

Garret

Lifetime Supporter
I am in the process of installing my bosche pumps in the tanks. I have the
same problem on my ERA. On my tanks the vent is very close to the fill on
the front on the tank so when I try to fill the tank the splash from the filler blocks the vent and you wear the fuel resulting in very slow fueling. Ted at ERA has extended the 1.5 inch diameter fill tube that is welded to the plate to go about 2" deep into the tank this helps bypass the splash and he has opened up the round hole in the foam to allow for this extension. I made new top main block off plates to accomodate my fuel pump wires and a -8 vent line to go up to the filler neck. This moves the vent to the middle of the tank.
I hope by moving the vent away from the fill tube fueling up will get better.
Will let you know how it works.

I'm glad to hear my fuel-tank fill problem is not unique to my ERA. As already found by most, the best method used to fuel the tanks is to position the nozzle so it is amed more directly into the fill tube. Because the nozzle assembly is in a vertical position, this is more easily done by slinging the hose over a shoulder so I don't have to wrestle with it. Additionally, I find that the right tank takes longer to fill than the left one.

Back