G-W heads on a 429, a budle of snakes in a Volvo, and other strange questions

What do you guys think of the 429/460cid 385-series engine?
Has someone made Guerney-Weslake style heads for one?
Do you think I could fit a Bundle of Snakes in a Volvo 240, with side exhausts after the collectors?
What size carbs do you prefer, and where do you find an intake for twin Holley Dominator IIIs? Or for that matter, proper looking valve covers?
What parts brands do you prefer, and which ones give the best value for money?
What sort of muffler or catalytic converter should I be looking for, for a race-worthy, street-legal big-block Ford?

What's the highest vmax you've seen a GT40 do?

What do you guys think of the 429/460cid 385-series engine?
You might get some stange answers Alasdhair,Its not a 'bad' motor, just that other than a couple being fitted to G7A sports cars which was an evolution of the MKIV they are not an OE engine for the GT40.
Has someone made Guerney-Weslake style heads for one?
To a 429/460?, according to another thread in relation to Boss 429 Mustangs there might be some truth to that rumour, however I have yet to see photographic proof of this.
Do you think I could fit a Bundle of Snakes in a Volvo 240, with side exhausts after the collectors?
Im sure you could fit those exhausts in a Volvo 240, adding the motor + exhausts all fitted up might add a considerable degree of difficulty:)
What size carbs do you prefer
Your Choice!
, and where do you find an intake for twin Holley Dominator IIIs? Or for that matter, proper looking valve covers?
I would suspect a special order & a foundry might be the answer here
What parts brands do you prefer, and which ones give the best value for money?
Outside my info base.
What sort of muffler or catalytic converter should I be looking for, for a race-worthy, street-legal big-block Ford?
Cant help here!
What's the highest vmax you've seen a GT40 do?
I wish you had left the word 'seen' out of the Q, as it may well be yours if you continue down this path..

****Seriously mate, Im not sure that the 429/460 Weslake [or GW] heads ever actually existed & if so only in limited prototype form, even seems to be some further room for doubt if they were made as to whether they were 4 or 3 valve as Ford had another engine in the works known as the 'Calliope' at the time and this was a 3 valve- it shared some of the 429/460 basic dimensions along with bell housing pattern from the FE, had two cams in the block etc. There have been others ( Arao etc ) that have been touted as the greatest thing since sliced bread, but do not seem delivered in to the consumer in viable form yet, seems to be several unhappy people around who have lost $$ on some of the ventures.
Other thing is there few if any fitted to GT40's & you will find yourself being a pioneer on such a project or a Volvo 240 for that matter... I wont wish you good luck, you really will need to purchase some!

Got a feeling Keith will be checking this answer, he has a personal historical interest in some parts of the answers given :):), interesting 2nd post though, if you do go ahead with the 240 project please post progress in the wings/wheels/keels forum on this site, some replies might be a bit 'out there', but we are all mechanical slaves here , you just might have to weed out the help you receive:)****

Last edited:
385 series: Have two of these, one Torino and one in a hot rod pickup. Better hp/$ ratio than the FE motors - meaning its cheaper to get power. Back in the day, the Boss 429 heads were the doggies danglers . . .there may be other pushrod heads that deliver as much now. Open to debate. Check out the Jon Kaase website for goodies, or Cars by Carl - another good builder.

Whether these offer more than a good "small" block is good for a long debate.

Generally, the GT40 boys don't run a final drive that yields good vmax IN MY OPINION.

Have fun!

Back