G50 Gearbox Wanted

Re: G50/50 pricing?

I’m also seeking a 1989 Porsche 930 G50/50 transaxle and need help just getting started. Can anyone tell me which Porsche dismantlers to start with or who has one for sale?

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Good luck finding one. You are looking for a needle in a haystack. You are better off looking for a later turbo box or a 930 box.

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
David,

ebay is always a good place to check. Even the 930 four speed is thin on the ground these days, there hasn't been a 930 come up on ebay for months now. I think G50/50's are even more unobtainable. Possibly keep an eye on Rennlist and Pelican Parts forums.

One high profile dismantler to be very careful with is GAD. See this thread http://www.gt40s.com/forum/ebay-marketplace/21011-87-89-g50-ebay.html?highlight=GAD

Joel (jmracecar) on this forum is the G50 expert.

Good luck with your search.

Cheers

Try giving LAPD a call.......That would be L A Porsche Dismantler rather than a well known law enforcement agency.
The owner (Todd) is the prefered person to deal with, but he's hugely difficult to get ahold of. Fortunately, he's local to me so I can usually find a way to get to him. Otherwise you're pretty much left with his sales desk staff.
Anyway, their WEB site is amost always out of date but in defense, he does move a lot of parts. A phone call will reveal his current inventory. They do post many parts on Ebay.

Transmissions & Parts Los Angeles Dismantler for Porsche, new and used Porsche parts, used Porsches for sale

I've dealt with them on a few occasions. You'll find no bargain, but they do stand behind their parts. Big inventory.
Andy

I’m still searching but thank you all for the help getting started.

Andy I’ve sent in a request for quote from LAPD and I’ll see what turns up.

I am not a real expert, but I sure do take an interest in these things. Always learning more.

One thing I have not learned is where to buy these darn things. Demand is up and supply is down. Prices are way up, and quality is not, usually.

I have most of a 930 box available, but it is in pieces. I lack the middle and end covers, and bellhousing side cover, and some reverse gear hardware to complete it.

I watch eBay, Rennlist, and Pelican all the time. A lot of the stuff you get is not as good as it looks. For example I bought a diff that someone said "looked perfect", and he was right, but it was 100.0% worn out. He took it back, and then 6 months later he still had it, so I bought it again, this time at a price that factored in the required repair (new clutch disc pack).

I do not recommend buying online from people you don't know, that aren't in the business, that aren't sure of what they have, and that don't have a reputation to look after, unless you are prepared to go through some trial & error and some iterations. That could include installing a transmission, then removing it, rebuilding it, and reinstalling it.

David,

ebay is always a good place to check. Even the 930 four speed is thin on the ground these days, there hasn't been a 930 come up on ebay for months now. I think G50/50's are even more unobtainable. Possibly keep an eye on Rennlist and Pelican Parts forums.

One high profile dismantler to be very careful with is GAD. See this thread http://www.gt40s.com/forum/ebay-marketplace/21011-87-89-g50-ebay.html?highlight=GAD

Joel (jmracecar) on this forum is the G50 expert.

Good luck with your search.

Cheers

Couple of comments:
- G50/50 was made in very small numbers - something like 150 3.3 turbos were made with this box, so you can understand their scarcity
- Parts Heaven has a few 930 boxes, but without the output flanges. Not sure what the flanges cost, but I don't think they are cheap
- rebuilding a 930 box is something like $3000 (can recommend Rennsportsystems in Portland)

Best
Dom

DCraig

CURRENTLY BANNED
I have eleven G-50 gear boxes. I have nine LSD units and two with open diffs. I will be taking ten G-50s, one 930 long bell LSD, two 915 boxes, two 928 boxes, and three 901 boxes to the Pomona Porsche/Corvette/kit car swap meet on August 26th, 2007. I will also take about sixty 930 gear sets, seventy 915 gear sets, and a dozen or so matched ring and pinions.

Wifey number two pointed out that if I sit on them for another ten years; I will be seventy years old. Wifey number one pointed out that if I continue getting rid of my “stored clutter” neither one of them would object to my acquiring a late model GT40 and two other cars I have been lusting after for many years now.

I will only sell them locally and I will not ship them anywhere for any reason. I have had my last bad experience with EBay buyers and out of State or out of Country shipping.

Back