Gear rod movement distance comparison table

Here are some of the gear rod movement distances I recently found out from doing a little web surfing.

Gear rod movement distance either side of neutral for forward gears:

Hewland
LD200 - 0.260" (6.6mm)
FT200/FGC - 0.225" (5.7mm)
DG300/DGB - 0.225" (5.7mm)
LG500 - 0.275" (7.0mm)

Porsche
930 - 22mm (according to a thread here)

I'm still trying to find out about the 930 w/Albins dog, G50, Hewland Mk9, ZF and ZFQ respectively but to no avail. Anyone know?

I have to ask - why is the 930 so long compared to Hewlands? In fact, 286% increase!! :shocked:

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Integral bellhousing on the 930 which Hewland and ZF don't have. I take it that you are referring to the length from the front of the case to the output shaft, not overall.

The reason the Porsche shift travel is so long compared is that they use a large brake band type of synchronizer, as opposed to a more modern Borg-Warner type. The Hewlands don't have any synco at all, just face dogs that have very little travel from disengaged to full engaged.

The kit came complete: gears, dog rings/sliders and shift rails( the detents are closer together due to less distance from neutral to engaged). The quality of the kit was excellent as the replacement gears speced out at the exact same width as the stockers so there was no need to adjust any selective spacers.

Attachments

• AORG 930 dog change kit.JPG
    AORG 930 dog change kit.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 250
  • albins dog-change gears.jpg
    albins dog-change gears.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 313
  • Albins dog rings.jpg
    Albins dog rings.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 349

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Having no experience with dog engagement transmissions; if I was in a situation where I needed to have my 930 rebuilt, would it be financially wise to gather this kit before me and rebuild this myself (I rebuilt my BW transmission, so I assume this would not be beyond my ability) rather than rebuild the 930 with OEM parts?

Ox

Back