Gearbox Casing Clean Up

G

Gentlemen I need some advice.
I have just removed my gearbox ( Porsche G50 ) from my GT40 and thought that while it is out I would give the casing a good clean.
As I see it I have two alternatives - either mechanically ( wire brush etc. ) or chemically clean the surface. Its been in the car for over two years and has road grime and looks a bit dull.
So any suggestions would be appreciated ......Stephen

Stephen,

Degrease the case, then wash with soap and

water and rinse clean. A Dremel with a

polishing head and Mother's aluminum polish

should take care of the rest.

Bill

G

Brian, It was the POR tech support that told me it stood up to 400F. Here is the email address if you want to talk to them directly. [email protected] . You probably want independent verification as well.

Bill, any advice for the follow up? I.e., I have a nice clean transaxle that has been bead blasted before assembly and wish to maintian it's factory fresh looks. However I worry about a finish being exposed to heat. Current thoughts are Glisten PC from the POR guys which I hear may be able to stand up to the heat, but I can't verify this as I do not know how hot the transaxle will eventually get.
I prefer a clear finish as opposed to a silver or black engine block paint.
Brian

My 2c.
Paint your mag wheels silver. Paint half shafts black. Spray your headers and trans with WD40 and drive the piss out of it. That's how they did it 35 years ago.

G

Hi Steven
I am thinking of using a G50 trannie in my GT40 replica and I need to work out driveshaft placemants,bellhousings etc, do you have any digital photos you cost post or drawings with dimentions?

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Stephen, do you or does anyone else reading this reply know how much torque the porsche G50 trans can handle? I am building a gt40 with a 427 and I am looking for a transaxle which hopefully won't blow apart the first time I drive the car. Any possible alternatives would be appreciated. Thanks

G

Fly I will try to get some digital photos for you. What is your email address ? .......Stephen

G

Gregg I do not know exactly the amount but I will try to find out for you.
The GT40 Australia cars come standard with a G50 box and quite a few of them race all the time and are pushing out in the order of 500hp without any problems.
What chassis do you have ? .......Stephen

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Stephen, it is a custom chassis. Is my assumption that you have a cable shift over a solid shifter linkage correct? If so, how do you like the setup? Gregg

G

Gregg, If you want to explore the Porsche transaxles and what they will handle, I would contact Powerhaus II. They are extremely knowledgeable on these transaxles. Powerhaus II website They can supply a wide variety of gearing and parts that can make these boxes very strong.

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Lynn, thanks for the info on powerhaus. You wouldn't know anyone with a t44 trans would you?

G

Only what I sent you in the email the other night that Holman Automotive was building them for his cars. I assume he found someone to do the machine work in the magnesium cases he was having cast. He had three cases and I think he was talking to Lloyd Butfoy about machining them for the gear clusters and diff. He told me that one would run around $30K at that time. No idea what has happened with them in the year or two since.

G

Gregg my car has a centre mounted gear change with a solid linkage for the H pattern across the gate and a Morse type cable with push/pull for the actual gear selection. It works great, very simple and very accurate......Stephen

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Lynn, thanks for the info on the t44. From everyone I spoke to who has a box to sell, the price is $30-40k. Too rich for my blood. I still have two college educations to pay for. I'm considering the new Quaife box being discussed on the forum, however I know very little about them. I contacted Quaife America in Calif. and the gentlemen I spoke with didn't know anything about the new trans. My only concern would be getting parts in case I destroy the box. At least with the zf I know it is a tested trans and the parts are available through RBT. Any info on Quaife would be appreciated. Thanks Gregg

Back