Genie Cobra

Here are some shots of a "Genie Cobra" that was raced by Scuderia Bear in the 60's. I don't know any history on this vehicle and would be real interested in any info the group may be able to divulge.

I also have some shots of a "Lister Cobra"

oops

Attachments

• 50095-sbgeniecobra02.jpg
    50095-sbgeniecobra02.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 1,047
I may be mistaken in the proper naming of this car.

Attachments

• 50097-sbgeniecobra10.jpg
    50097-sbgeniecobra10.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 989
Ken - these are great photos.

The car is a Huffaker-Genie Ford 289 stroked to 302. I have lots more info on these cars if you are interested.

The middle two photos (and possibly the others) were taken at the Nassau Speed Week, Bahamas, I think from 1963, although Scuderia Bear is only listed as competing with Ferrari from 1964. The indoor shot is taken in the Nassau hangar which was given up for the teams for the duration of the Speed Week. The shot above is under one of the spectator areas.

The Genies were competitive pre-Can Am sports racers built by Joe Huffaker.

You mention the Lister Cobra - there was a Lister Ford competing at Nassau in 1963 (as well as the Lola MK6 GT...), so I imagine your photos are from the same meeting.

Hope this helps!

Cheers.

Rob

Ken,

Thanks for the pictures. I find the descriptions of the Nassau races fascinating--intense competition mixed with intense partying. I've seen Listers with many different powerplants but I don't think I've seen one with a Ford, so if you have any shots, I would love it if you would share them--

Best,
Bob

P.S.: Check out the Rotunda tach on the Genie!

I must apologize, I did not have my facts straight. This white car is also a Genie Cobra. I don't know where I got onto the Lister bent. I have a number of these shots. The first 4 are an article written about the rebuild.

Attachments

• 50197-sbgemiecobraarticlep1.jpg
    50197-sbgemiecobraarticlep1.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 960
Something that Peter's brother mentioned about this car. He seemed to remember that the drivers were somewhat fearful of this car. I think it had a tremendous amount of power in such a small package.

Attachments

• 50202-sbgeniecobra01.jpg
    50202-sbgeniecobra01.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 939
Genie Cobra-Scuderia bear.

ken visser said:
Here are some shots of a "Genie Cobra" that was raced by Scuderia Bear in the 60's. I don't know any history on this vehicle and would be real interested in any info the group may be able to divulge.

I also have some shots of a "Lister Cobra"

I worked on this car in 1963 when it was raced at Daytona in the Challenge Cup. It was re-built by Charlie Jefferson and the rest of the shop in Pennsauken NJ. In one of the photos you can see Bill McKelvy's name on the side. He was Scuderia Bear. I believe he lived in the Pittsburgh area. I believe that the picture with "Charlie" signed is Charlie Hayes who drove the car. It had a 351 Fird, 6 Webers-DC0E 40 I believe. We burned the crank and lost oil pressure. I believe that some of the photos are from Seibring.

Hope this helps. Bill M also had a 1968 GTO Ferrari that we drove in the 12 hour (before 24 hr). and came in 5 or 6. Ulf Norinder and ??? co drove it. We ended up 7 seconds behind Phil Hill and a Ford Cobra GT. Fab ride. I had the opportunity to do a few laps. As you can probably tell I'm a older (65) gear head but still like to bend a wrench or 2.

Has this car any links with the cars that followed?

I do not know if I am going off in a tagent. But was the Genie an earlier version of the Cooper Monoco, King Cobra? The tail looks familar. The only Genie Ford I knew about was the Revell Slotcar.
Regards Allan

The car shown in the American Rodding Sept. 1964; "Rebuilding the Genie-Cobra" is my Huffaker Genie Mark 8, serial 3. This is based on the fact that the pictures show a triangular opening on each side of the front air intake and I have been told that serial 3 was the only car that had those. This car was first raced by Dan Gurney at SIR, Kent,WA (DNF) and then by Pedro Rodriguez at the 1963 Times GP at Riverside where it finished 3rd. It was also owned by Bill McKelvey, Ed Lowther (who won two SCCA national championships with it),Steve Mondlach, Jim Hill, and Warren Snodgrass. Warren had it restored by Huffaker and, after a about four years, sold it to me. I raced the car from 1995 to 2003 and won at the Monterey Historic twice. After I got it set up right I did not find the car difficult to handle. For more about the car see: 1963 Huffaker Genie Mk. 8 USRRC/Early Can-Am Race Car Spec Sheet

Despite what it says, I still have the car and it resides in a friend's private museum. I bring it out occasionally for car shows and concours.
Bill Watkins

If you would like ?
I have some pic's of Gurney's ride At SIR in 63 (Genie/Ford)
Was a Great Race !
All so was King Cobra there, and some other Genie's. (Olds/Chev)
Roger Ward had a Cooper Chev.
P. Rodregus, and Skip Hudson were there too, among many other's.
I'll have to get the slide's made into print's this week,
then if someone wants me to PM some of the shot's I can ?
Or just post'm somewhere ?
Those were the Days !

Cheer's !

Curtis

Sure, No Problem !
Have found one so far.
A front view, showing front and left side.
Car was going through Tech Inspection at the time.
Later today I'll see what else I have ?
I'm sure I have race program's,
and pit pass' from back then all so.
And Yes, I was there !

;-)

I'll get back to you on what all I can find !

Cheer's !

Curtis

Did find second pic !
Dan with crew, in pit's.
Car jacked up, with tail open.
Pete Lovely looking on.

All so found orig. race program with pre entry list !
One Hell of a List !

And the pre race entry package.
(Rules/Reg's, and entry forms)

Will get the slides in for prints,
and scan to send along, all together.

Cheer's !

Curtis

Back