Go get the knowledge

A while ago someone put up a post extolling the virtues of "your" local Technical College. Well today I went for a safety/induction at my local Tech. for a ten week course (Sat mornings 9:30 to 11:30am) in TIG, MIG & MAG welding at £80 the course.
WOW! not only state of the art welding gear, but a fully equiped machine shop with some awesome machinery, a power sheet metal bender that can form a 6ftx6ft box /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif(monocoque anyone?) Mills, drills, lathes(billet ally pulley wheels?) and a Plasma profile cutter(engine, transaxle mounts?).
They also have non-destructive weld integrity testing equipment, so you can machine, weld and then test whatever you have made.
The best thing is, after the first two weeks you can do whatever you want, use whatever you want, with instructers on call.There are three courses every year, you could build a 40 from scratch /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

That sounds fantastic. Here I am in the middle of the Grand Prix Engineering centre of the world (Silverstone/ Milton Keynes) and there is nothing like that round here as far as I can find. Nothing in Northampton, Milton Keynes, Luton. The closest I have found is High Wycombe and I'm not sure that that was even for welding.
Can anyone suggest Colleges etc offering this sort of course around here? Oxford maybe?

Hi Dave

I live in Tuxford, North Notts, not a million miles away from you, and Chesterfield was part of my 'patch' in a previous existence - which college is running these courses?

Cheers!

Rob

Back