Gold color for halibrand wheels???

Hello everyone!

I am in the process of planning a build and am struggling to find reliable information on the gold color found on many halibrand knock off style wheels. I attached some pictures of what I am looking for. I am hoping some of you kind folks could help me track down the proper powder coat color to apply this. I can powder coat my own wheels I just need to know what powder to buy.

Thank you in advance!!
Nick

Attachments

Scott Calabro

Supporter

Brian Stewart
As pointed out, the colour on some of the original magnesium wheels is as a result of corrosion protection. However, I wanted to get something close on my aluminium wheels, so, after much searching I chose a Landrover colour (Maya Gold, code GAN) and am happy with the result. Photos show 1046s wheel at Le Mans a few years back, and my car.
IMG_0654.JPG
Extra 1 copy 2.jpg

Eddy McClements

Supporter
As pointed out, the colour on some of the original magnesium wheels is as a result of corrosion protection. However, I wanted to get something close on my aluminium wheels, so, after much searching I chose a Landrover colour (Maya Gold, code GAN) and am happy with the result. Photos show 1046s wheel at Le Mans a few years back, and my car.View attachment 111461
Brian

I never tire of seeing photos of your car...I guess this one is from your recent Grand Tour? May I use a copy as my Desktop background picture?

Thanks,

Eddy

I believe original wine glass Halibrands were cast out of magnesium and then treated with “Dow 7” for corrosion protection and for primer & topcoat (If desired) to adhere correctly. It is similar to “Alodine” treatment for aluminum, and is still widely available.

Interesting... Thanks for the information. My wheels will be aluminum unfortunately...

As pointed out, the colour on some of the original magnesium wheels is as a result of corrosion protection. However, I wanted to get something close on my aluminium wheels, so, after much searching I chose a Landrover colour (Maya Gold, code GAN) and am happy with the result. Photos show 1046s wheel at Le Mans a few years back, and my car.View attachment 111460View attachment 111461
Very nice color!!! Is that a normal paint or a powder coat?? If paint... did it seem to hold up well over time?

Brian Stewart
Very nice color!!! Is that a normal paint or a powder coat?? If paint... did it seem to hold up well over time?
It is a two pot paint. Seems to be standing up quite well. However, I have bought a knock-off removal tool recently to reduce the risk of my chipping the paint with the lead hammer.