Gold color for halibrand wheels???

Hello everyone!

I am in the process of planning a build and am struggling to find reliable information on the gold color found on many halibrand knock off style wheels. I attached some pictures of what I am looking for. I am hoping some of you kind folks could help me track down the proper powder coat color to apply this. I can powder coat my own wheels I just need to know what powder to buy.

Thank you in advance!!
Nick

Attachments

• wheel 1.jpg
    wheel 1.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 517
  • wheel 2.jpg
    wheel 2.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 980
  • wheel 3.jpg
    wheel 3.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 899

Brian Stewart
Supporter
As pointed out, the colour on some of the original magnesium wheels is as a result of corrosion protection. However, I wanted to get something close on my aluminium wheels, so, after much searching I chose a Landrover colour (Maya Gold, code GAN) and am happy with the result. Photos show 1046s wheel at Le Mans a few years back, and my car.
IMG_0654.JPG
Extra 1 copy 2.jpg

Ed McClements

Supporter
As pointed out, the colour on some of the original magnesium wheels is as a result of corrosion protection. However, I wanted to get something close on my aluminium wheels, so, after much searching I chose a Landrover colour (Maya Gold, code GAN) and am happy with the result. Photos show 1046s wheel at Le Mans a few years back, and my car.View attachment 111461

Brian

I never tire of seeing photos of your car...I guess this one is from your recent Grand Tour? May I use a copy as my Desktop background picture?

Thanks,

Eddy

I believe original wine glass Halibrands were cast out of magnesium and then treated with “Dow 7” for corrosion protection and for primer & topcoat (If desired) to adhere correctly. It is similar to “Alodine” treatment for aluminum, and is still widely available.

Interesting... Thanks for the information. My wheels will be aluminum unfortunately...

As pointed out, the colour on some of the original magnesium wheels is as a result of corrosion protection. However, I wanted to get something close on my aluminium wheels, so, after much searching I chose a Landrover colour (Maya Gold, code GAN) and am happy with the result. Photos show 1046s wheel at Le Mans a few years back, and my car.View attachment 111460View attachment 111461

Very nice color!!! Is that a normal paint or a powder coat?? If paint... did it seem to hold up well over time?

Brian Stewart
Supporter
Very nice color!!! Is that a normal paint or a powder coat?? If paint... did it seem to hold up well over time?

It is a two pot paint. Seems to be standing up quite well. However, I have bought a knock-off removal tool recently to reduce the risk of my chipping the paint with the lead hammer.

It’s definitely Dow-7 and Magnesium. See pic: center of my wheels are Dow-7 and the rim is untreated oxidized magnesium.
for Magnesium you can also Ceramic coat them almost any color.
Aluminum is much easier. Just have them powder coated. Color options are endless and cost about $75/wheel.

Attachments

• B7888CAF-CBA4-4E97-BADA-6EF1D6AD31C1.jpeg
    B7888CAF-CBA4-4E97-BADA-6EF1D6AD31C1.jpeg
    764.9 KB · Views: 571
Hey Rod! Thanks for the tip. I will have aluminum wheels so I will need to paint/powder coat. Do you happen to know of some paint/powder colors thar are known to be a similar color?
Thanks,
Nick

Nick,

You can visit a local powder coater and ask to see samples. When I got my Daytona frame powder coated they had many colors to choose from.
They may even be able to sell you the powder..

John

can you not powder coat magnesium rims? I have a set and live in a very hot humid area and wish to preserve them.

Scott t

I think you can if they aren’t Dow-7 coated already.
the Dow-7 would cook off in the heat of the powder coat oven and cause problems.

Back