GT40 GTD tyres dimensions

Hello,

I am new in the forum and on the way to acquire a GTD from 1991. I would like to know the possible tyres dimensions from that car attached as a picture that is a GTD.

My GT40 has
225/60 R15 Front width of the front wheel unknowed
295/60 R15 Rear width of the rear wheel unknowed

but the tyres appear for my eyes too large for the front and rear arches. Sizes of the wheels 15'' is ok as standard.

Thank you, Franck R.

Attachments

• FORD-GT40-11.jpg
    FORD-GT40-11.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 267

Malcolm

Supporter
What lee says above but also a good number of owners now use 295/50/15 for the rear. This and the 215/60/15 front can be bought from Avon

Thank you Eric. I like the space we see between the tyre and the arche. Please let me know where did you buy these accessories on the top roof and the top of the rear cover please ?
1624994607849.png

Me again.
I see sa lotof GT from the web having the BRM or hallibrand wheels in 15'', 17'' and now 19'' size but I don't see any car with other type of wheels, is there any reason ?
The GT40 look refers always to the past, thing that I can understand for sure, but I don't see anyone having done "an update" for having a more modern design for that car. I put as an example the work done on the mustang zero to 60.
Is there a way for example to use these kind of wheels in 19'' ?

Attachments

• Zero-to-60-Designs-Ford-Mustang-GTT-rear-three-quarter-01.jpg
    Zero-to-60-Designs-Ford-Mustang-GTT-rear-three-quarter-01.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 191
  • thumb_21384_default_large.jpeg
    thumb_21384_default_large.jpeg
    102.5 KB · Views: 157
Dont go too big an imbalance front to back, my opinion is that 295 is absolute max. if using 215 fronts you will get too much understeer on the front in corners, Frank

Dont go too big an imbalance front to back, my opinion is that 295 is absolute max. if using 215 fronts you will get too much understeer on the front in corners, Frank

very good point Frank.

would also be interesting to hear what people are running for tire pressures front to back as well.
Is it a case of decreasing the pressure in the end that is sliding and increasing the pressure in the end that has the abundance of grip (within sensible limits of the recommended tire pressure ranges)?

Malcolm

Supporter
Unfortunately the perfect sized front tyre (in my mind!) does not exist that I know of, that being 235/55/15.

Thank you James

You're welcome; more wheel/tire pics are in my profile.

Back then (90's) there were fewer tire choices and even worse for wheels, and I needed very specific backspace/offset so I bought the 3 piece rims and had a local company carve me the centers from billet, then I just bolted them all together. I had to squeeze those 335's in there - remove the rear lip completely and only had 1/4" gap between wheel and upright. But IMO they looked amazing and I'd argue the 35 profile performed better at Goodwood than the stock GTD 60 profile setup.

Malcolm

Supporter
I remember your car well and we had some great days at Goodwood back then James. I still have a picture of you exiting the chicane kicking up some dust on a committed lap! I think you were giving my girlfreind at the time a ride round the track and she was a little queasy when she got out but I thought it looked cool!

The standard GTD tyre back then was the Goodrich Comp TA 265 width at the rear. The compound on the TA was rubbish. You could overheat your tyres in about 3 laps and then it got mighty interesting with low grip! Thankfully the tyres now are quite a bit better in many ways.

Hey Malcolm! All pictures gratefully received! ;)

I had one set of Pirellis and hated them. I gained seconds a lap when I switched to Bridgestone RE71’s and stuck with them since then. Somehow they had more grip AND lasted longer..

Back