GT40 on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1841374582

regards

Clayton
shocked.gif

A Safir MKV not a 1965 as stated. Why anyone would pay $250K for this is beyond me as many of you have built much better cars for much less. A real GT40 is a real GT40.
A Safir is a Safir. They are both fun to own but they are not the same thing and representing them as such is stupid and insulting to those who have lovingly built or bought a replica or are luckly enough to own a real one.

Ron Earp

Admin
I agree with that. It is just a replica "of sorts", any way you wish to slice it. The real "factory" GT40 cars were built in the 60s (with a couple of exceptions that are documented) not in the 80s.

However, lots of us on the board are building cars that are arguably better than this car on auction or the originals. So, I'm not sure why anyone would pay that type of money unless they were just misinformed.

R

[ July 04, 2002: Message edited by: R. Earp ]

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
This is interesting. I agree with you, Jim, that a Safir is not a 1965 car. I suspect that Peter Thorp would agree as well; he never intended that the series of Safir GT40s he built would be represented as original cars, which is why the chassis was redesigned and is substantially different. Having recently had the opportunity to view a Safir chassis side-by-side with an original Tennant chassis, I can vouch for the fact that they are in no way identical, although the dimensions are similar.
Keep in mind that once a car leaves its' manufacturer, they have very little if any control over how it is represented by the subsequent owner. I have met several people who own Safir cars, and they are quite clear on how they view what they own- they are continuation GT40 cars built in the 80s which are entitled to carry the GT40 name, and derive their lineage from JW Automotive.
I would like to point out that they are not replicas in that sense- the people who built them went to the trouble to buy the rights, get the tooling and have the chassis redesigned and improved. As far as I know no one else has even thought about licensing the design or shape of the car to build them; everyone just goes ahead and does it. And, if you compare an original car, Mark 1 or Mark 2 anyway, to a Safir GT40- well, I thought the Safir car was by far better put together and the workmanship to a higher standard. I would rather have a Safir car than an original. It is easier to get parts for them, since Safir still exists, and the cars are more durable. They go just as fast.(both are far beyond my driving ability). And the body panels came from the original molds, so they look the same- the genuine classic shape.
Finally, the price is too high. Minimum bid 250K- ridiculous. You could buy 1040 for that, or close to it. Although there is no question in my mind that a Safir is a better car, it is not worth quite as much as an original car with a competition history.

Hi, Come on guys you know whats going on...
Ford had to buy the rights to remake the GT40 from??? Safir Engineering! SO Someones got smart and thought they would take the mickey by asking that price for the safir.

Many would argue that second to ERA, the safir was the next best thing. If we all spent 1/4 of a mill dollars or quids on our GT's, we'd all have the best one!
smile.gif

If it is a safir (and im fairly sure from what i can see) that it could well fetch that money. Im not saying its worth it, but it may well be worth the dinero. The MK5 was considered a carry on of the production line as i was informed by Pat Murphy ex Ford advanced vehicles some years ago.( great guy used to eat flowers at dinner parties!)

Anyway My Silver GTD40 is for sale at considerably less money than that and its not a bad car!

All the very best

Mark Sibley
Not so sunny UK!

Back