GTD goes for $77K at B-J Palm Beach

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
While the Speed Commentators massacred the history and specs of the GT40, a red GTD went for $77K at the Barrett-Jackson Classic Car Auction.

click image for Lot 705 listing.

In slight defense of the commentators, who said original GT40s were steel bodied, there were definite inaccuracies in the official (sellar provided) description of the car. For instance the exhaust, seen below, was described as a "Bundle of Snakes" exhaust. Clearly, that isn't the case.

49250_Engine.jpg

But, hey, I am not complaining! I think its great that this car went for this much money!!!

Lynn

Last edited:

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
I'm shocked. If that car had been listed here for that money, people would have laughed. It's not even that nice. Weird interior and rusty headers. Well, if I ever decide to sell my car, I know where I’m going...

Howard Jones

Supporter
I won't go into a long winded explanation of supply theory but I will say this much.

Assume someone with the money in hand wants to buy a something that more or less is a GT40 or close to it in the next few days here in the USA that he can drive right away and is currently registered and licensed, complete, and sorted. What I mean by sorted is that everything that should work does, the engine functions fine as well as the rest of the power-train and feels in general safe and fun to drive.

He has three choices as I see it. Buy a real GT40, buy a Ford GT, or buy a replica of a GT40.

I don't believe there are any real GT40's for sale at this time in the US and if there was it would be north of a million dollars, a long way north I would guess.

Ford GTs can be bought for about 140K here in the US, or about double 77K.

How many replica GT40s are for sale here in the US in the next day or so and are ready to drive away legally? One, two, three?

I close my case. $77K it is!

This looks like a GTD built by Val Burd in about 1989. It wa sold to Fred Torch in Southern California who drove it for a couple of years and then sold it to someone in Germany . I lost track of the car after that. It had a very flash full leather interior including the roof and door edges. The paint and body work were excellent and the car had webers and a fire bottle system. When it left the US it had a standard GTD disc brake system.radiator and A/C set up. The Gurney bubble has been added and the removal of the webers is sad.

Last edited:
Howard

I have another theory....ANYTHING can happen at an auction...
all it takes is two determined bidders....but if there is only 1 determined
bidder....what would this one have sold for ?

Kudos to Barrett Jackson for finding so many "determined" buyers.
But you do take a risk for the 10 % they charge.
Is their Palm Beach Auction also restricted to No Reserve vehicles?

MikeD

Howard

Kudos to Barrett Jackson for finding so many "determined" buyers.
But you do take a risk for the 10 % they charge.
Is their Palm Beach Auction also restricted to No Reserve vehicles?

MikeD
All the cars were no reserve and this GT40 was rough. I sold a cobra while I was down there and saw that car.

Anyone who has caught B/Jackson on ‘Men and Motors’ would have witnessed the hype they achieve within the auction hall. Combine that with the wealth and ego of those there to buy and extraordinary sales values are realised. With the U.S. economy still holding strong you have a depth of people making serious money and possessing an ‘I want that’ mind set. Paying 10K over the top for a car ain’t really a problem if you can earn double that in a week. At that level it costs you more to shop than you stand to save! So, don’t go complaining  instead ship your car out for $1500, pre book the lot - and take the profit.

hi all
im trying to post a thread regarding the proposed sale of my part built tornado but im having problems opening a new thread. any pointers?

regards chris

I figured I would respond to this one, was surprised to find Val Burd's name on here. My dad, Steve Dowling, was his body man for some years and worked on the GTDs for Val.

This looks like a GTD built by Val Burd in about 1989. It wa sold to Fred Torch in Southern California who drove it for a couple of years and then sold it to someone in Germany . I lost track of the car after that. It had a very flash full leather interior including the roof and door edges. The paint and body work were excellent and the car had webers and a fire bottle system. When it left the US it had a standard GTD disc brake system.radiator and A/C set up. The Gurney bubble has been added and the removal of the webers is sad.

Keith

hi all
im trying to post a thread regarding the proposed sale of my part built tornado but im having problems opening a new thread. any pointers?

regards chris

You may not post in the for sale section unless you are a forum supporter.

But I see you are, so I don't know....:)

Last edited:
Steve, I think I met your dad at Vals. In fact I think He was with Val at Watkins Glenn when Ray and Graham and myself went to dinner together. They turned out some very nice cars. As far as I know Val is still around maintaining vintage racers etc.

Back