GTD/R21 CV joints and driveshaft

Howard Jones

Supporter
I guess it had to happen sooner or later but I broke a driveshaft and damaged a CV joint on my GTD. I have the standard CV joint/ driveshaft's that are used with a Renault R21.

Does anybody know the source for the driveshaft's and or the CV joints? Even the OEM part number or at least car type would help.

Thanks in advance.

Howard

Rear halfshaft bearings are from a mid eighties English Ford Granada. I have a German Bearing Company number GKN 3017. The shaft is custom made as the length is different than the standard Granada. I am quessing that Southern GT can supply. I have a second number from Timken - JXC18437CA-90KA1. This one I am not sure of. The seals are #224250 and #710463 according to my notes.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Thanks bud. I need to take the car apart and remove the half shaft and make some measurements. There seams to be reference to VW transporter driveshaft's in the search engine. I'll need at least one shaft itself as the shaft has sheared off at the inboard splines.

Can anybody confirm that VW transporter shafts were used with Granada cv joints on GTD as a standard part?

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Howard
I have the VW transporter Mk2 driveshafts on my Dax

They appear different to the GTD shafts.
The VW appear to be a narrower diameter shaft to what I have seen on GTD

T2 68-79 Complete CV Joint Driveshaft

That said if the shaft length is correct you can get a set for a good price from VW aftermarket sales companies if you want stronger CV. Joints the Porker 944 can be swapped in.

Ian

Malcolm

Supporter
I recall that the CV joints were Ford items probably Granada. The shafts I think were bespoke items. Talk to Mick at Southern GT is a good starting point. I have never heard of VW being the source for shafts.

Sorry about my previous post giving you the GNK number. On further checking I have found the following info on the bearings. They are available from BAT Inc., located in Sarasota FL. Their phone is 941 355 0005. Bearing # M550B, Boot # M550BK, Torx Bolt # M550CS. Another part number I have is from Race Parts in the UK. Beraing # MS3K023. As I said before the axles are made for the application and I would try Southern GT or send your old broken Part to one of the Hot Rod axle makers in southern CA to make a stronger duplicate. I believe that the Merkur Scorpio sold in the US used these CV Joints.

Back