GTD rear suspention mod

Howard Jones

Supporter
Andy, of course you are correct on tire temps. This is really the only way to find out what is going on. I like to try things mainly for the fun of doing it. The example above is one. It didn't cost much because I wanted to make the adjustable links anyway. If in the end I decide I don't like the relocated pickup points I can try something else or put it back the way it was.

I drove the car pretty hard again today and I must say it is pretty easy to predict when the tail will come out, and once it is there it is easy to control. I also am begining to believe that the point of loss of grip is coming at a higher g load than before.

I think I like it. Mostly because the snap oversteer seams to be gone and I can get my foot down earlier out of a corner.

All of the above is measured with my ass in the seat. Not great data but for now its all I have.

Howard,
I re-read my post's and I apologize if it seemed I was critical of what you have suggested. I was merely trying to point out to the community the many approaches to the problem. Ultimately the combo that gives the driver the most confidence will inevitably be the fastest.

I do beleive your brackets will allow a lower ride height in any given set-up, which looks way cooler than the 5" I'm running!

Happy testing!

Best regards,
Andy

Chris Duncan

Supporter
""All of the above is measured with my ass in the seat. Not great data but for now its all I have.""

http://www.gtechpro.com/

For about the price of a single dyno session. ($200)

Calculates HP and torque by weight, time, and G's. Also reads and records cornering and you would assume braking G's .
SS.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Howard, to really come to grips with your suspention have good look at this software its not cheap but is excellent, they have a demo version on their site at the bottom of the page, they have imp or metric versions, it only lasts 10 days but if you have your brain engaged you can do a lot in 10 days.
http://www.performancetrends.com/SuspAnzr.htm

Regards
GraemeS

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Guys, Have been away for a few days, hope the software helped the Susprog program is also quite good but if i remember rightly you can't shift the top points in the demo version,ifound the performance trends easier to use, they had only just released the Metric version a few months ago when i tried it out, had a few bugs in the Beta version, but i believe they were ironed out.

Regards
GraemeS

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Howard Taking tyre temps is not the only way for determining correct neg camber settings. I find it much less confusing to read the tread.If the neg camber is set correctly, the full width of the tread will appear lightly scuffed.Too much or too little neg camber and scuffing will not reach right across the tread. You adjust as necessary.Either method tyre temp or reading require lots of high 'G' force cornering and in my opinion a track session. I don't believe you can do it safely on the road. As a matter of interest my RF chassis had two holes for the inner top link and I use the top hole for minimising camber change at Bump.I continually rotate tyres to even out wear for best tyre life but getting the neg camber correct gives the most even wear not to mention grip. At $500 per tyre I tend to look after them.My car is 95% track.
Ross

Back