GTD Rear Windscreen Wanted USA?

Howard,

The big engine cover window. I had some work done on it and they took the plexiglass window out and cracked it. They had a piece of Lexan made for it painted the black trim around it and put that in. Looks nice but does not have the curve the original did and hits the plexiglass cover over my webers. Guess worse case I could put air cleaner covers over the webers and eliminate the plexiglass cover........

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Gary,

I went to my local plastics warehouse and bought a sheet of plexiglass. Cut to fit the rear opening over the motor. Screwed it down, let the motor heat up the plexi until it sagged then quickly open the clip and push the plexi outward to creat a slight curvature. Immediatly close the rear clip and let the motor heat up the plexi in this position for about 10-15 min. Let it cool and the plexi will maintain it's shape thereafter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I did experienced the plexi loose it's shape when the engine overheated once and created higher than normal heat, needed to be replaced. With that one exception the plexi has worked out pretty well. I think I spent about $50 in material, enough for two cuts.

If you want to do it on the cheap do what Tim says. If you want a nice formed and clear piece, contact Fran Kress. You will need to order the oversize piece and trim to fit.They are not cheap. You might think about switching to the light weight glass units if they will fit.

Thanks for all your input. My dealer put a real nice piece of Lexan in it and it looks great. The glass company suggested the same idea of putting something on top of the weber carbs plate to push the lexan out and take a heat gun to it to reshape it.

Anyone running webers without any type of plexiglass over the top? Wondering how the fuel vapors effect the rear window if it's plexiglass or lexan.

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Gaty,

CAV has a tempered rear glass window that should fit your GTD. The glass also has a black mask around it on the inside (like new cars and the CAV windshield). Have inventory if you're interested. At least you'll only buy this window once:)

Back