Hacking an IDA 'Weber', turning it into EFI

I must say that this is really inspiring, what is the estimated cost of the completed ITB's?
Might even consider changing my approach for Retro looking EFI to ITB if it is a cost efficient way to save money and poor in some extra time and effort to build myself (like you did)

I think i'll be in approximately 3000-3500 in the end. The intake casting is about 800, the webers approximately 1000 from china. The injector bosses approxmately 300. The throttle kit approx 400. The shaft seals were 50-ish if I remember correctly. Then there's the plethora of small items (AN fittings, alu tubing, etc.. ) which I didn't keep track off.
I don't think its much cheaper, but it is definitly a lot of fun. Also I think they will work better than the borla weber look-a-likes, as the injection is downstream the throttle plates, not right on top of them. The Inglese version is the Borla version I think, or you're referring to the IDA ones that don't look like webers?

I think i'll be in approximately 3000-3500 in the end. The intake casting is about 800, the webers approximately 1000 from china. The injector bosses approxmately 300. The throttle kit approx 400. The shaft seals were 50-ish if I remember correctly. Then there's the plethora of small items (AN fittings, alu tubing, etc.. ) which I didn't keep track off.
I don't think its much cheaper, but it is definitly a lot of fun. Also I think they will work better than the borla weber look-a-likes, as the injection is downstream the throttle plates, not right on top of them. The Inglese version is the Borla version I think, or you're referring to the IDA ones that don't look like webers?

Do you have the article number for the correct intake casting?

I'd be more inclined to use the 'unobtainium ' 58mm IDA' as a basis for this project. Supposed to be the holy grail among the Weber fraternity.

would depend what size cylinder you are putting it on.
the number corresponds to the diameter, doesn't it?
58s are going to be big and result in low air speed when gutted, leading to low VE.

BUT.. Its going to be injected, assume that each 'barrel' can be sleeved to to maintain airspeed in smaller capacity applications, look at the constant flow stuff like Hillborn etc, IIRC the butterfly is around 2.375" or so in dia. Ford pushrod Indy ran 58's. Most road car's run a reasonably large plenum with a single butterfly.

Ford pushrod Indy ran 58's. Most road car's run a reasonably large plenum with a single butterfly.
That may be the case and I would keep it in the back of mind.
I have not gone and done the research, but if i were to start, i would go straight to a list of engines that produce the most KW/Liter (HP/Ci) and then benchmark runner sizes/valve sizes.
Things like the current Porsche GT3RS engine, the last Ferrari NA engines and the like. Possibly even things like SCM and CHI Clevor heads for the Windsor. 58 might be right for a larger cylinder with a large single valve. The twin valve intake stuff might be completely different.

Interesting to think about. Cheers.

Ryan

Back