Hand brake adjustment RCR GT40

Hello:
I'd like to gain access to the hand brake cable for adjustment.
What's the correct order for removing the center covers at and behind the hand brake lever? Sounds trivial but most of the button head crews spin freely - are there hidden nuts?

Neil

Supporter
If the threaded retainers are Nutserts or Rivnuts, they may have been installed incorrectly. In my experience, in thin sheet metal, Riv-Nuts do a better job while Nutserts are better in thick panels. In any case, each must be pulled tight and installed in the correct size hole to prevent the inserts from spinning. This is one time that de-burring a hole is not recommended- the hole edge burrs help keep the insert from turning. A dab of epoxy doesn't hurt either.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
If the threaded retainers are Nutserts or Rivnuts, they may have been installed incorrectly. In my experience, in thin sheet metal, Riv-Nuts do a better job while Nutserts are better in thick panels. In any case, each must be pulled tight and installed in the correct size hole to prevent the inserts from spinning. This is one time that de-burring a hole is not recommended- the hole edge burrs help keep the insert from turning. A dab of epoxy doesn't hurt either.
X2 on everything you said and X10 on the epoxy on the outer barrel of the rivnut or nutsert..

What, in your way of thinking, is the difference between Nutserts and Rivnuts?

Back to the main issue which is now solved: P1010598.jpeg
After removing the whole handbrake assmbly from the floor I realised how adjustment can be made very easily. Simlpy remove a single bolt (located on top - right behind the hand brake lever). Then one can flip up the cover which is hinged at the rear end and one has access to the cables. In the process I replaced the 2 steel mounting brackets by aluminium versions. Saves quite some weight and I think there is no sacrifice to safety.

Back