Hello to all.....

I recently bought Simon Winter's (gt40guy) KVA MK1 project. I'm sure I'll be asking more questions as the progress continues. Thanks in advance for any advice and help, Scott

Congratulations, I'm sure green with envy. You have a wonderful opportunity to help the rest of us starting out. How the heck did you get it into this country? Everything that I think I've read indicated it was pretty difficult to get a partially started kit in. If you are willing to share the details it will help a lot of us get from the dreaming stage (almost 35 years for me) to reality. Hope you will take the time to write up your adventures.

Steve

Steve, getting it into the country as an unfinished kit isn't that hard. Basically it cannot have a motor/tranny, and needs to be stated that it is a 65 racecar. My KVA is still in unpainted gel-coat, so it does look like a bucket of bolts! I am having it shipped as a roller, and it should be here in 2-3 weeks. Shipping from the U.K. to New York is about $1,600-1,800.00 bucks. I'll post some pics when it finally gets here, Scott

Scott
I will be very interested in your adventure as the details unfold, but won't be bothersome by posting a lot of questions after this. I got the impression from the orignal adds that the car was pretty far along. Is it really sufficient to just have the motor and trans out? How does the DMV take to registering a race car on the street? I'm really intersted in the details, when you have time, as my job has changed and I expect to be traveling to the UK a fair amount over the next few years and would like to have a complete understanding of the process if the right 40 becomes available. My conversations with customs and the MA DMV have not been very enlightening todate.

Thanks and good luck with your project

Steve

Steve, sorry to hear you are in Mass, as they can be jerks. But, I'm sure there are a few people here that have that have them registered in that state and will have more specific advice to deal with the DMV there. I plan on using the company,"Titles Unlimited" once I finish my car, or telling my DMV it was bought in Alabama. That way I will already have paperwork saying the car is a 65 GT40 and it will be registered as an antique.(no titles on cars before 1972 I think) Anyway, it is pretty easy to get the kits imported as long as you state it is a 65 racecar and has no motor or trans. (that is for the feds only) It wouldn't hurt if it was still in gelcoat and unpainted/unfinished. Any more questions I can help you with, drop an e-mail to [email protected], Scott

You had better not put a Chevy in there!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Heh, heh.....Fran I won't tell if you don't! ;o) Besides, they keep crying about those ultimas...guess I'll have to step to up the plate and build one to beat'em! Scott

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Cscott67....
I suggest you re-think the Tiles Unlimited thing.

Do a search on ClubCobra for TU related items...there are some serious issues with using such a service. You really don't want the DMV police/feds/etc. showing up and impounding your new toy. The bottom line is that you do not have a "1965 Ford GT40, Whackamole B1000, or Debiegh Chummy" or any other car that did not exist in 1965.

Don't risk it...do it the right way and save the trouble.

Rick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Mark4, in all honesty, I would not use TU for the reasons you suggested. It has been gone over a lot on the cobra forums and the problems associated with that route. However, the car is being shipped over here with a bill of sale that states 65 racecar, and I will register it in Alabama first if need be. I still have one of my 67 camaros registered at Granny's house. Collector plates are a great thing, pay once and drive on! Scott

[ QUOTE ]
...it is pretty easy to get the kits imported as long as you state it is a 65 racecar and has no motor or trans...

[/ QUOTE ]
As I understand it, SPF imports its cars as "car parts."

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I would agree, steer clear of Titles Unlimited. I am currently having a cluster with them. They had no problem charging my credit card in full for a title, but when spit hit he fan, they won't even answer my emails, or faxes. I had hoped to get a early title to avoid problems with emissions, and the like (light heights etc.) I have been trying to get a refund from them since the first part of June. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
My vin tag, would clearly show, that I am not trying to pass it off as an original. As things unfold, I will let you fine folks know !!!!!

Brian

[ QUOTE ]
I have been trying to get a refund from them...

[/ QUOTE ]
Call your credit card company and tell them you never received the goods and they charged your card. They will do a chargeback and get your money.

The government crackdown on "title companies" could spell
impending disaster for GT40 imports, if the trend continues. If anybody has any ideas,
or knows another "legal" method of how to circumvent the titling hurdle, now
would be a good time to share that information!

One option, which I have seen used in the past, regarding
maritime law (Jones Act) and ship/boat imports, is to ship some of the parts, but
have the majority built here in the States, under license
from the original manufacturer. Thus, the actual builder of
boats/ships HERE, can issue a U.S. certificate of origin, thereby
allowing their product to fall under standard U.S. regs(documenting/titling), not import regs.

This would make titling a non-issue for "imported" cars, if in fact it does become a serious problem in the future. This may be a thought for overseas GT40 manufacturers. It's a giant leap, to be sure, and would certainly drive prices higher, but may be the only option, if Uncle Sam has his way! Let's hope that it never gets to that point!

Bill

Ron Earp

Admin
The majority of states still have procedures and laws for self built machines. This is the way it will have to go for the future if these places all end up getting put out of business. Some states are really friendly and title the year of the car on apperances. Most are not. Maybe this means we'll see lots of people trucking cars to AZ and TN, selling it to a buddy for a buck, titling the car, and buying it back. That is basically how TU and others worked except it was a different loop hole involving no titles previous to a certain year.

Ron

Maybe we should start a new thread or post here with info concerning how each state treats the titling issue. For example how does NC differ from TN, etc.

If anyone has recent info I think it would be good to post it hear.

Thanks

I just registered my car in Utah. I think the DMV may have screwed up, as it only took 2 days and they did not require me to get a smog or safety check. We'll see when I try to renew it in a year how much hassle I have to go through.

My car is titled as a 2003 (year of completion) for tax collection purposes. Utah license fees are age-based. I believe it *should* say "REPLICA" somewhere on the title, but it doesn't, and smog requirements are then supposed to be based on the year of the engine. I had to have a peace officer verify that the VIN number on the car matched the one on the MSO, and have a Utah VIN number assigned. Since the manufacturer's VIN number was non-conforming (not the right number of digits), the state assigns one (which is also non-conforming)... I also had to fill out a "Statement of Origin" or some such thing to say how I acquired the various components.

The process went something like this:
Day 1: Fill out appropriate forms and gather up receipts and take them to DMV. They ask for more detail on the statement of origin form and give me a VIN verification form and Utah VIN sticker and send me off to the local police dept. to get the form filled out and the sticker applied.
Day 2: I return with the filled-out VIN form. They don't like it because the officer crossed something out & say I've got to get it redone. I ask if I could just go back and have her initial the crossed-out part and then they decide it's OK after all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif They ask me what kind of license plate I want (Utah has two standard kinds of plates: a white "Ski Utah" and a "Centennial" plate with a picture of Delicate Arch on it). I say "don't I have to get it smogged?" DMV worker says "no, it's a new car." I say "are you sure? It's a kit car." She goes off to check with her supervisor. Nope, it's exempt from smog & safety check. I'm thinking how do they know it even has brakes but I'm not going to argue with them. I take my plates and go. That was the whole process (oh, except that I had to write them a big check to cover sales tax on all the components in addition to the license fee).

What I had been told previously was that kit cars need to have a smog & safety check every year (and you'd assume that it would be a requirement to get the thing registered in the first place), and that emisssion requirements were based on the yeear of the engine except that anything 1968 or earlier (pre-smog) still has to meet 1968 tailpipe standards (i.e., no visual check). Only certain counties in Utah require smog checks, and if you're registering it outside one of those counties, you shouldn't even have to worry about that...

Back