Helmets

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Looking to purchase a new helmet for track days, any recommendations or advice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Ron Earp

Admin
Check with the santioning body. Typically a Snell rated helment will suffice for schools and track days. I have used my motorcycle helmet for track days, but I don't recommend it. There is a difference in fit and styles for motorcycle vs. car helmets.

If you plan on occasional use then I would go with one of the less expensive Bell helmets - they fit well and will do the job for you. A good place to get them is:

http://www.racerwholesale.com/catalog/

Hi Tim , I really like Shoei helmets. They fit my head much better than Bell. But everybody is different. I have a bell racing helmet and two Shoei motorcycle helmets. I prefer the Shoei's. Best place to buy for me is ebay. Many times you can buy brand new from cycle shops getting rid of last year models on ebay and save huge. Last one I bought for less than half price. Just make sure you know your correct size , so your happy with it. Helmet sould be tight enough that it sqeezes your face without hurting,,lol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

For automotive track use you are going to want to buy a SA 2000 (or SA 2005 when they come out later this year) rated helmet. Try on several styles to see what you like. The lighter ones will be more comfortable as the "g" loads will be smaller. I like the Simpson Voyager line. In the last couple of years they have lightened all of their lines using carbon fiber. The voyager is now fairly light.

Thats true Gary good point , I forgot,LOL, if the track your running at goes by SCCA rules than a "M" helmet will not be allowed unless they are using solo 2 rules. My local track has non SCCA days for lapping and racing and allow either if its a 2000 or newer rated helmet. If your worried about fire , best to wear a nomex head sock anyway also . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Tim,

I have an open one wich is more the style of the vintage time (except J Ickx who was the first one to use a closed one to my knowledge).The benefit is that it is less warm in a GT40
I have a full phase helmet aswel wich may be safer but definitely warm in the hot of the cabin of a GT40.
At the end you may have 2 aswel... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Rgds
Fred

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks for the input guys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I was considering the open face for the same reason Fred mentioned. It gets so warm inside my cabin an open face may be cooler. Bell and Simpson both make a SA2000 rated open face.

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
You get what you pay for. Definitely try them on and compare quality before you purchase one. Arai offers open face helmets. I prefer them over the Bell and Simpson brands for fit and quality. Have fun, be safe!

Ron Earp

Admin
I have a Simpson car helmet and like it quite a bit. They do fit differently for different folks and there are some quality differences. But I don't think you'll get a bad helmet from any of these manufactuers listed on the thread. Personally, I don't care for open face helments since I like my face better than being being comfortable (I actually find full face helmets very comfortable but years of cycle riding will do that to you) but different strokes for different folks.

One remark on open face helmets:make sure you wear a fire resistant 'socket'(sorry for Belgian virtual transalation)on your head with mouth coverage as it was at the time.
I am more concerned 'in cockpit' of a GT40 about potential face fire injuries than face/head physical injuries with such helmets.
This must be my 10 years endurance racing(24H) in motorbike racing benchmark...
Just my humble opinion...
Fred

[ QUOTE ]
One remark on open face helmets:make sure you wear a fire resistant 'socket'(sorry for Belgian virtual transalation)on your head with mouth coverage as it was at the time.

[/ QUOTE ]
In English, I'm used to "balaclava". Apparently "hood" is also used.

(Pegasus sells them for $19-$55)
---Ben
[

Bell make good quality helmets but they cost a fair bit, i personaly would recomend them for bikers.
sportintegral_carbon.jpg

This sounds awesome (well i think it does), its made by BMW and it weighs less than a kilogram. Its apparantly made of Carbon Fibre and Kevlar /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
- i heard the bit about kevlar on Top Gear so dont hate me if im wrong, hate Richard hes small

abit of info on the bmw helmet

Just returned from a days testing with my son and our Honda Pro-kart. First time out in two years and I can't move my head! With helmets the lighter the better as far as I am concerned and you definitely get what you pay for. I would never skimp on safety gear - it's the only brain you've got (hopefully!)....

Back