Help Please - Rear Upright lower bolt

Where can I find a supplier for the Rear Upright lower bolt. It is about 11 inches long 1/2 -13. Could be a bolt or a double end stud.

Any body have any idea how strong this need to be or what material it should be made out of. I appear to have some low end home depot all thread in there now. I cant believe this could possibly be strong enough.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Alex Hirsbrunner

Lifetime Supporter
Hi John,

McMaster-Carr. I'm not familiar with how your fasteners are loaded/stressed, but these are probably better than the home depot threaded rod. 92198A746 (18-8) is lists a minimum tensile strength of 70,000psi. The more expensive 316 version should be stronger (tensile strength wise) but this spec is not listed in the data sheet.

Regards,

Al

Attachments

• Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 361
Last edited:

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
John,

Another alternative to consider would be an aircraft supply outfit - I remember buying all kinds of AN rated nuts n bolts for the car when racing years ago. While my memory is a little foggy over the years since, I think the place I visited was Spencer Aircraft in Seattle. I'd bet there's a similar company offering some high end hardware in your corner of the world as well.

Best,

T.

John,
If you have an old Ace Hardware store near you, check it out. We have one that takes up at least an acre or two. I have found every kind and size of bolt you could imagine. I refitted every bolt, nut, and nyloc in the engine compartment. The previous owner had gotten spray paint on a lot of them, or had taken them off and on so many times the finish was gone and surface rust had started to form. their prices are very reasonable and you don' have to pay shipping.

Bill

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
John Ross,

You really need to make sure you have Grade 8. I got mine from a local fastener store. While you might find them at Ace, you'll pay way to much for them there. If you can't find a local fastener supply, then go online, but don't put less than Grade 8 in there!

Lynn

WOW thats exactly what i was looking for. I searched the web with no luck and now that you post that link I find there is a Fastenal only 30 minutes from my house. I'm gonna try and head out there for lunch tomorrow if they have it in stock.

Back