Help wanted. Original Gulf car engine/trans cooler circuits.

Hi guys,

Does anyone have the correct oil circuit routing for the engine oil and transaxle oil circuits on the Gulf cars?

I am talking about the circuit with the two engine oil coolers (one front/one rear), sandwich plate, and large oil tank on right side of engine bay.

And also the the rear transaxle oil circuit. I know the oil pump goes to the top of the transaxle cooler, then lower output cooler hose goes along the right side of the transaxle, and I assume back in through the top cover?

Any drawings or detailed photographs of 1075 would be greatly appreciated.

Public or private mail works. Thank you all in advance.

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
1076c.jpg

Photos are much appreciated Doc.

1075 and 1076 have an additional capacity oil tank on the right side, and the trans cooler is at the rear of the car, to the right of the transaxle.

Unfortunately I'm lacking specific details of the plumbing end exact locations for the engine oil tank, oil filter sandwich plate lines exact configuration, trans cooler exact return fitting position....
20220704_200920.jpg

Photos are much appreciated Doc.

1075 and 1076 have an additional capacity oil tank on the right side, and the trans cooler is at the rear of the car, to the right of the transaxle.

Unfortunately I'm lacking specific details of the plumbing end exact locations for the engine oil tank, oil filter sandwich plate lines exact configuration, trans cooler exact return fitting position....View attachment 123467

Hi Elliot, regarding transaxle oil cooling the ZF was available to order with a built in mechanical oil pump within the rear black cover casting. As I recall the oil was drawn directly internally within the transaxle casing into the pump. A dash 6 line exits the rear cover to the oil cooler then into the diff cover casting. Internal oil passages directed the flow of oil on to the crown wheel and to the output shafts bearings.
Most ZF5DS25 transaxles did not include these features, in my case I purchased the correct top cover as a spare part from ZF, used a low profile dash 6 banjo and bolt into the sump plug. An electric pump powers the system and I have a temperature sender to the dashboard gauge (in place of the clock). Normal operating temp is around 110-120 degrees.
Hope this is of some help.

Hi Chris!

Thank you so much! I had thought it may possibly return through the top cover by looking at photos, but of course the photos are never that close, and so I wasn't sure. I really appreciate you verifying!

Now I just need to figure out the engine oil system.

Still trying to learn more of the engine lubrication system. Please let me know if anyone has any more detailed up close photos of 1075/1076 engine bay, or information of any form. Thank you once again

Back