Here's My Engine Plan. Comments

Re: Here\'s My Engine Plan. Comments

Yes, but in your case it won't be too bad, just cut the manifold down the middle and widen it.

That might screw up your linkages, but it will work.

I have a fuel injection manifold that can't do that, at least not without a lot of work.

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter

[ QUOTE ]
.....just cut the manifold down the middle and widen it.

[/ QUOTE ]

built2rev,

elaborate a little more. Seriously, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif have you seen a manifold cut and widen or is this just a phrase for buying a new wider manifold?

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter

Oooh! so thats when we can use a "spread bore" carby then??
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter

Hello Bill !!!
The proper way to install the intake on a tall deck block is with intake spacers. There are several out for this block already. Like this one.

Main >> Intake Adapters >> PME Adapter Kits >> 302/351C 2V/302

Intake Adapter Kits
8.7 302 Block/351C 2V Heads/302 Intake
They just came out with the brand new 302 block that is 8.7 instead of the normal 8.2 and someone wants to put Cleveland Heads on it!

This is going to be one heck of a street rod engine (will anyone even be able to guess what it is?). When you think of all the 302 style Intake Manifolds you can pick from... you mind will be boggled thinking of the variety and then you will realize that what you dream can become reality!

Intake Adapter Kits:
Part#/Description: Fits: Price
AP-24 8.7 302 Block/351C 2V Heads/302 Intake $229
AP-24G w/2 sets of gaskets 8.7 302 Block/351C 2V Heads/302 Intake $265

With that particular kit, you can even put Cleveland 2bl heads on that block. PME makes several kinds. Go to this site, then on the main menu on the left, go to intake adapters, then PME.
intake adapters
They even have a deal on blocks and kits. The hard part has been done. Don't reinvent the wheel trying to modify the intake. They have been using spacers like this on tall deck CHEVYS, for over 30 years.
Regards Brian

Re - widening the manifold...

Why not use Kinsler throttle bodies / injection? - they bolt directly to each head and the middle is sealed/covered by an alloy valley plate, so you just need a wider plate.

Light too, being magnesium.

We run above with 4.125 x 3.25 in a Fontana Automotive alloy block / drysump / solid roller lifters - 1.7 rockers - Motec management and it pulls very well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks Paul

I just got off the phone with Ross Racing Pistons. They can easily make special pistons to fit the 4.125 bore and 5.400 rod. I asked if I could get a specific compression height to achieve 11.5 compression. He said no problem. Cost is only $709 + $82 for the pins. Leadtime is 3 weeks.

This seems to be the best approach. I also foud that SCAT makes a superlight forged crank. A bit more expensive than their regular one, but it should rev much faster and higher.

This is coming together nicely. I think I may go with a set of DART aluminum CNC'd heads with 2.08/1.6 valves and 225cc intake runners. These seem a good fit for the lower end and then have a custom mechanical roller with about .610/.620 lift and 245/260 deg dur @ .050.

Engine should make great power and about 525 HP, peaking around 7200 RPM. The sound should be incredible with the GT40 exhaust.

Bill

[ QUOTE ]
elaborate a little more. Seriously, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif have you seen a manifold cut and widen or is this just a phrase for buying a new wider manifold?

[/ QUOTE ]

He's using webbers, I'm guessing that the manifold will use two carbs on each side, if so there should not be anything important in the middle of the intake. If the carbs mount transversely it wouldn't work.

And as for spread bore carbs, they do cut in half dominator carbs to get a straighter shot on Pro-stock drag racing motors.

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter

As I falling for this split intake manifold design I think I'm feeling a little tug on my leg here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

But if your serious 'bout splitting the manifold I think the intake spacers as mentioned by Brian above would be much easier. Rick Merz used spacers on his 392\351w with Webers and that car ran like a 'raped ape' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

With a TIG welder and time, almost anything is possible.

The advantage of splitting the manifold is that it does not increase the height and there are less gaskets to deal with.

I don't think you have any problems with height because people are using 9.5" deck 351's sucessfully.

Lastly, why go through all of that when you can just use a 8.2" deck?

If he wanted a 3.4" or greater stroke, the rod ratio improvement might be worth it, but for a 3.25" stroke, it's a pretty good fit in the 8.2" deck.

Ron Earp

Admin

There are 351W webber manifolds out there. And, if you must, cutting and re-welding a webber manifold should be no big deal - the center is just "dead" aluminum as mentioned with no ports or anything else. I wouldn't bother, just get a 351W manifold.

Back