Heroes of Speed @ Miller Motorsports Park

Vintage races at the new Miller Motorsports Park in Utah August 3-5, 2006

I must say I was disappointed by the turnout - both from participants as well as spectators. Maybe I've been spoiled by the Monterey Historics over the years. This was the first vintage event at this track (and a major part of the reason for the track's existence - Larry Miller has been quoted as saying he wanted to build the track so he would have a place to drive himself silly in his Cobra). Lots of Porsches (bleagh) of various vintages, but a few significant cars.

Rondeau. Not A Rondeau, THE Rondeau. This has been at Monterey in the past.

Attachments

• small-rondeau.jpg
    small-rondeau.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 528
A McLaren. Unfortunately, this was the only McLaren at the event. There were a number of Lola CamAm cars as well...

Attachments

• small-mclarenpeek.jpg
    small-mclarenpeek.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 622
  • small-mclaren.jpg
    small-mclaren.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 524
A couple of Mustangs. There were quite a few Mustangs there (Cobras too, but they have their own website so I didn't scan any closeup pics).

Attachments

• small-134mustang.jpg
    small-134mustang.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 553
  • small-mustang21.jpg
    small-mustang21.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 518
Like the other races this season, most of the drivers were just trying to learn the track.

Somebody tell that Corvette driver the track runs counter-clockwise!
And no, that's not Alex Zanardi trying to take a shortcut in the Mustang...

Attachments

• small-backwards.jpg
    small-backwards.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 529
  • small-shortcut.jpg
    small-shortcut.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 510
The feature race was the "Larry Miller Invitational." Of course he had several of his own cars in the field (though he was not driving).

Bill Murray (left) getting 1015 ready.

Attachments

• small-murray.jpg
    small-murray.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 506
Pace lap. The lined up the Mustangs in front, followed by the Cobras and then the GT40s.

Attachments

• small-pacelap.jpg
    small-pacelap.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 521
At the start, Tom Mabey in 1037 went flying up through the pack like he had the thing juiced with nitrous or something. However, he didn't get slowed down enough for turn 1 and after throwing up a large cloud of dust, found himself at the back of the pack. Lap 1:

Attachments

• small-lap1.jpg
    small-lap1.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 514
It didn't take long for 1015 to get to the head of the pack and pull away. Mabey tried to catch him, but could only get within about 6 seconds.

1015 leading the pack:

Attachments

• small-1015leads.jpg
    small-1015leads.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 528
Tom Armstrong took 3rd in J11, and the PA announcer said "it's a Ford sweep!" Not hard to arrange when the entire field was Fords :p

Attachments

• small-J11.jpg
    small-J11.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 501

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Steve, thanks for the superb pics !

Now that McLaren - it would have to be the only car that could temp me into another "Individually Constructed Vehicle" (ICV) build (apart from a Matich SR4) & all the hassles that go with it !! That is one sweet motor car !

By some weird co-incidence, my daughter's boyfriend is Frank Matich's grandson, & I am having my new dropped floors done by his original designer - Henry Nehribecki. And another one - Henry worked for some years with Eric Broadly on the original Lola GT - talk about keeping it in the family !!

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Yup, I was down between the exit of "Ecstasy" and the "Attitudes" for at least most of that race. So how come I'm not in your picture? :p

Back