high back racing seat

I'm baaaack. Tried the A4 on the passenger side of my CAV. The other seats won't fit!! It fits and looks good! The back is adjustable to slant back to the same angle as the fire wall. I sat in it when it was in the car. It is very comfortable with plenty of side support. I am 6' and 230 lbs. I also had a jacket on which has an insulated lining. It was about 32 degrees. This seat would work for me. When I settled into it I had about 1" of head room. The padding under my behind seems to be thicker than I originally thought. So in conclusion I think that if you are quite a lot taller and bigger than I, it may not work for you. If you have any more questions ask away, maybe I be of more help. Joe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

If you make an order tell that the guy with the BLUE GT-40 tested the seats for the guys on the internet and maybe they will give you a price break. I beleave he told me that the A4 was $320.00. Joe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Chris Duncan

Supporter
Joseph,

"... I think that you all will be happy to know that the "A4" is 17" from side to side on the floor. 6" off the floor is 181/2", but can be squeezed in because of the foam padding."

thanks man, you just made my day. I've only got 18" at the floor and 18.5" at 6" off the floor, was going to try to make some seats or get some like these and modify, now I can just use the A4 off the shelf. Manufactures sometimes aren't accurate in their specifications, this time it worked out to the good side. Now wouldn't it be nice if the seats were 10 lbs lighter than their specs <grin>.

Kalun, Don't feel bad about how much the A4 weighs. The seats that come in the CAV are much heaver, but they are extreamly rigid and strong. I'd bet that the CAV seats can support 300 lbs.+ leaning against the top of the seat back with your backside without moving hardly at all. Now I'll ask for some suggestions to help me and maybe the rest of us out. In the CAV's, right in front of the seat there is an angle that comes up then goes flat to the cluch, brake, and gas peddles. My seats are leather and I never step on the sill or the seat when I enter and exit. I step in and put my heel against this angle and keep my knees straight and put my behind against the top of the seat. Then I put the heel of my other foot against this angle, then I just slide straight down into the seat. To get out I do the opposite. This keeps my seats like new. Oh I'm 58 and can't bend like I used to. OK, now the question. What can I put on that angle to protect the carpet from getting worn out from my shoe heel? I have been using hard cardboard angles that are used to hold the corners of boxes on skids that keep the stacked boxes square on the skid before the whole skid is wrapped with that clear plastic wrap. They look like hell, but work. I've looked at diamond plate, but I don't like the way it looks. Any other ideas? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gifJoe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Those seats of Frank's are superb.

They easily take the frames of larger folk. I fit nicely. 6ft. about 200lbs. I've seen many seats, and those offered by Frank are miles ahead of anything else offered.

I've said this before about these seats. The fact that they are also very light just makes them even better. You can also have them in just about any colour.

Merry Xmas,

J.P

Howard Jones

Supporter
Joseph

Use a piece of sheet alum. bent at 90 degrees to cover the place on the carpet. Get some of that stuff that is a self sticking non skid. It comes in rolls and I was able to buy it by the foot with the skickem on the back. Cover the alum piece with it and rivit or screw into place. I used this stuff on my peddles and I really like it. I has a fairly long life and I think it will be a once and forget for some time. If you paint the alum black and as the nonskid stuff comes in black you will not even see it in the car.

They have it at Ochards supply hardware here in Calif.

I bought some thermoforming black plastic from mcmaster.com . I used it to make a clutch side sloped foot rest. Is easy to make L shaped bends with propane torch and vise. Nice black color.

The best site for seat choices I have found is here: Seats

After looking for a long time, I went with Kirkeys. They can build to any width and customize a seat if needed.

Check the different sites. You can also check their dimentions.

Chris Duncan

Supporter
I went and looked at a Corbeau A4. It seems ok, but pretty heavy, I think because of the tilt mechanism. After about giving up I found the OMP 644 Eco. It's fixed and quite a bit lighter at 18-1/2 lbs. plus it is on sale for $150.00 at OMP USA. Shipping ate up the amount saved but oh well.

Wasn't sure if it would fit, but sent a fax of the body dims and they said it was close but looked ok. Don't think it will fit a larger person though, it's sized at medium.

Thanks to Bart's link on this one.

644.jpg

Getting back to the original question ........
My car is at Frank Catts right now having a pair of his seats fitted.
There will now be two GTD seats available lightly used.(Carefully run-in)
The driver has had higher than standard sides fitted for racing , the other on the pass side looks standard.
The mods have been professionally carried out.
Please contact Frank if they are of use as they are for sale.
They have only done a few races and are in excellent condition, Black leathery stuff with red piping.
Contact Frank via his posts here, or at Wealden on 01323 843839 UK.

Thanks,

Barry D

Attachments

• 37783-Office 1.jpg
    37783-Office 1.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 332
does anybody know where i can find a seat like that but without the colored piping. i only have one seat......HELP

Chris Duncan

Supporter
It gives one angle of 78deg. So I'm guessing that means 12deg. Here's the SIZE CHART

You can also change the angle by tilting the whole seat back. I did this with a corbeau fixed seat in a Datsun roadster, it was more comfortable that way.

Back