Historic motor sport

Mostly not.
In lots of cases the original is preserved in their private collection and a recreation with the same vin number is used for racing.
Otherwise, you can still buy a "genuine" '64 '65 GT40 FIA legal with all the correct papers brand new but with no no race history at all.
Gelscoe for instance does it with GT40's
Ric Wood does is with Capri's
Zakspeed offers their legendary Gp5 turbo Capri.

I haven't been vintage racing in some years now here in the Pacific Northwest (so it may be different now...) but it was/is a hard and fast rule that if it wasn't built before 1969 then it's not vintage and it's not coming on the track for a vintage race.

Personally, I thought this bright line approach was/is really good. It keeps things respectful between the drivers who are driving million dollar vintage cars, with all the short comings that comes with that....and those who have a lot less invested in their modern recreations.

It also provides some interesting contrasts keeping everything vintage and open....seeing an original 1968 GT40 overtaking a 1965 Hillman Imp is pretty entertaining.

I haven't been vintage racing in some years now here in the Pacific Northwest (so it may be different now...) but it was/is a hard and fast rule that if it wasn't built before then it's not vintage and it's not coming on the track for a vintage race.

Personally, I thought this bright line approach was/is really good. It keeps things respectful between the drivers who are driving million dollar vintage cars, with all the short comings that comes with that....and those who have a lot less invested in their modern recreations.

It also provides some interesting contrasts keeping everything vintage and open...[[[.seeing an original 1968 GT40 overtaking a 1965 Hillman Imp is pretty entertaining.]]]
Not as entertaining as watching a reworked 65 IMP pass a Replica 68 GT40.....Watch this space...you heard of it here first.!!

Mostly not.
In lots of cases the original is preserved in their private collection and a recreation with the same vin number is used for racing.
Otherwise, you can still buy a "genuine" '64 '65 GT40 FIA legal with all the correct papers brand new but with no no race history at all.
Gelscoe for instance does it with GT40's
Ric Wood does is with Capri's
Zakspeed offers their legendary Gp5 turbo Capri.
Yes, that is what I had already suspected...

Back