Holiday write-down

Planned a trip to the UK long time ago and looking forward ever since to meet up (again, but now with the GT40) with my car's daddy; Frank Catt.

Planned my trip to be just after the Dutch TT in Assen.
I left home monday 27th of juni. Drove to Calais to take the Eurotunnel train to Folkstone.
Inside the train, I felt there was no need anymore for my sunglasses (with correction), so I wanted to put on my regular glasses, but they weren't anymore in the door-compartment.:shrug: They must have fallen out while checking in or at the customs. Luckily I had my contacts also with me, otherwise it would have been a troubled week. So no major problem.

I arrived in Folkstone and stopped at service station, filled her up and checked everything before heading of to Hailsham.
I took the scenic route with very nice twisting roads and excellent views.
Unfortunately the quality of the roads is not very good. About 35 km before reaching Frank's place I heard a loud clunk and the gear lever was completely stuck in position. Not a single movement possible:huh:
My first thought was a gearbox breakdown, but how/why?? And no rattles?
I let the car roll to a safe parking spot and opened the rear deck. Then I saw the problem, the shock broke and the spring caught the gearlever-rod.
So a bit happy that it wasn't the gearbox, but I was still stuck in what appears to be about the middle of nowhere.
I called Frank and told him about my problem. After explaining him where I was (which wasn't easy...) he and Jeff came to pick me and the car up.

After arriving at his workshop and having a lunch we started to have a look at the car. First of-course the right rear shock. After getting the shock and spring removed, the problem was that the top cap had become unthreaded.
We ordered a new cap, which came in a couple of days later, problem solved!
We did, as planned, a thorough check of the whole car, which was one of the reasons of visiting him. Sorted everything out and I had a real good time.
Frank also took me out for a tour of the surroundings. We went to see the Seven Sisters, his old working area and also Beachy Head ....and no, I didn't jump. But at least now I know where to go to.
We also went to a local race track to see Women's Banger Racing and some other class races.

Eventually we worked on the car for 2-3 days. Sorted everything out I had on my list. But I also ended up with a very long wish list.
So I agreed with Frank to a yearly visiting event doing mods 'little by little'. I can't wait for next year.

By the end of the week, friday, we went to the Goodwood Festival of Speed. Frank to work for one of the Indy Car teams, and I just for fun, as a first time visitor. What a huge collection of cars and (famous) people, all very approachable. Also visited the GT40 Enthusiast Club stand and some members. I also very much liked the Red Arrows show. Etc, etc.
What can I say........wow..... what a very impressive event!!!:bow:

On sunday I went home to Middelburg, the Netherlands doing B-roads in the UK, excellent driving and views again and....... trouble free!
And on monday.......back to work.

Attachments

• DSC_8810.jpg
    DSC_8810.jpg
    412.2 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_0187.jpg
    IMG_0187.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_0196.jpg
    IMG_0196.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_0242.jpg