How much leather is required to do an interior

Waiting for my SL-C to be complete and the leather I plan to use for my interior is on sale. Can anyone tell me approximately how many square feet is required to cover the 1) seats (leaving the back uncovered), 2) upper door panels (lower portion will be carbon fiber), 3) dash, 4) a-pillar covers, and 5) the roof?

I missed one piece in my request. I have the interior tub option and I am also planning to cover the top section of the arm rest area in leather.

Don't know what you are paying but these people sell whole leather hides at a good price. Really nice upholstery stuff.

Mark,

Thank you for the suggestion of B and B. I am purchasing mine from Leatherhidestore.com. They have sent me samples and I have chosen a charcoal grey color. The hides I am looking at are $143 each, basically the same as B and B. Just need to know approximately how many square feet of coverage I will need. Looks like I'll have to wait until my kit is complete and ready for pickup.

I think my car used 2-3 hides, but don't remember the actual sq ft. Of course, hides vary, and what you end up covering with it will make a big difference. The only way to really know is to take the pieces you want to cover, measure them, and total up the area. That's just a first start though, as you will sometimes want to move the material around to hide a natural defect, and of course, parts never nest perfectly. Figure a waste factor, and add something to be sure you don't run out as you are unlikely to get a perfect match later unless you happen to get some from the same dye batch.

I think my car used 2-3 hides, but don't remember the actual sq ft. Of course, hides vary, and what you end up covering with it will make a big difference. The only way to really know is to take the pieces you want to cover, measure them, and total up the area. That's just a first start though, as you will sometimes want to move the material around to hide a natural defect, and of course, parts never nest perfectly. Figure a waste factor, and add something to be sure you don't run out as you are unlikely to get a perfect match later unless you happen to get some from the same dye batch.

Will,

Thank you, that is the exact feedback I was looking for. I have studied pictures of your interior many times and it is one of the “gold standards” that inspires me for mine. I have estimated sizes of all the parts I plan to cover and figured 3 hides. I am covering more than you did so I’ll probably go with four to have a some wiggle room. Thanks again!!

My hides showed up today. Charcoal grey. They are very high quality (ordered them from leatherhidestore.com) and I will have no problem get more yield out of them than what the supplier will guarantee so I'm certain four hides will be enough (hope I didn't just jinx myself :rolleyes:). My basement is going to smell very good until I get around to working on the interior!

Thanks again Will for your input!

2020-02-04 17.20.31.jpg
2020-02-04 17.20.42.jpg

Back