How to load 40 in an enclosed trailer

Question for the group that trailers their gt40. I have an aluminum ATC 24’ enclosed trailer with DS escape door. ‘Regular’ cars work great with this escape door but wondering how you would load the gt40 with the engine and trans in the rear? If I back it in I would have the drivers door on the passenger side of the trailer so no escape door and no way to get out. I could winch it on in reverse but then I would need a level area to do this, and then I would still need to figure out a way to winch it out. Does everyone just load the gt40 straight in? If so any problems with weight distribution? I’m a long way away from this but just wondering for the future.

thanks!

From what I’ve come across on searches, winching it in seems to be the preferred method, either straight in or backed in. I’ve also seen where some folks remove the driver’s door. And one nut (me) climbed out (and back in) through the part opened roof opening… fortunately, I was still fairly nimble and slim enough for an old fart to make it without damaging anything. Any future trailering I will do the winch method… ;)

Btw, there was no side door on my buddy’s enclosed trailer.

I always loaded mine rear first to get trailer weight distribution right. If you load front first you may not have enough tongue weight and trailer will be squirrely. An electric winch works great, but you do have to get the car lined up straight as you won't be able to adjust the steering wheel.
I had an 18' trailer and still had room to get in the side door and around the back to tie the car down and activate the winch.

I load mine rear end first for weight distribution reasons.
It's really easy to winch it in myself. I can access the steering wheel all the way up the ramp, so minor steering adjustment is possible. My winch has a remote, so I can move around the car as it goes in to make sure everything is ok.
I have prepositioned two wheel chocks for the rear tires to bump up against. I adjusted the tongue weight and trailer balance the first time I put this car in this trailer, and the wheel chocks ensure I'm getting it in the right spot each time.
I prefer to use 4 individual ratchet straps, one on each tire, to hold the car down.
Using this method, I can load the '40 by myself, and be ready to roll in about 20 minutes. I always stop within a few miles of leaving to check the load, and every gas and pee stop thereafter.
Keep an eye on trailer tires and wheel bearings. I manually touch each one when I stop. If any seem hotter than the others, it's time for a closer look. They will warn you of impending failure. You just have to look for it.
Safe trailering!

Bill Kearley

Supporter
No problem with that Pat, same trailer, Just park a little further ahead. I installed 4 more anchors in my ATC a little further forward

Attachments

• GOPR0772.JPG
    GOPR0772.JPG
    260.5 KB · Views: 56
  • GOPR0773.JPG
    GOPR0773.JPG
    326.8 KB · Views: 58
For those that may have trouble accessing steering or may not have lined the car up straight enough, I recommend keeping two slips of perspex long enough to go under the front tyres and a can of wd40. The idea is to spray one board of perspect with wd40 and place the other one on top. Back the front wheels onto it and there will be enough slip between the perspecx sheets to be able to manually push the front of the car over to the left or right using the wheels. For the sake of next to zero space, its a simple, if inelegant solution

Jim Albright

Supporter
If you need to make minor steering corrections as the car is winched up/down the trailer ramp, you can just grab the front wheel and move it a bit - I have loaded my Lola several times solo and with a remote for the winch it's a relatively easy process.

If you need to make minor steering corrections as the car is winched up/down the trailer ramp, you can just grab the front wheel and move it a bit - I have loaded my Lola several times solo and with a remote for the winch it's a relatively easy process.
I just did that today and it worked for adjusting the position of the car on the trailer ramp.

Back