Improving GTD 40’s Air-conditioning system - Farhad

Improving GTD 40’s Air-conditioning system.

SUBJECT: Improving GTD 40’s Air-conditioning system. Going to a larger size Condenser

The following is a write up on how to upgrade the AC condenser on any GTD 40. The original AC condenser is a pathetic 8” X 10” piece of crap that is only good for Northern European climates!!!!

The compressor, fittings, dryer, hoses, evaporator,,etc are all adequate for the job. The condenser is a JOKE. Every factory GTD has the condenser installed behind the driver (American) in the rear compartment. I decided to install the new condenser (from Vintage Air, 14 X18”) behind the passenger in the rear compartment.

I removed the Fan from the old condenser, made a shroud out of Aluminum (You don’t really have to have the shroud) and attached it to the new condenser (see photos). I also removed the drier and used that as well.

The reason for changing the location from behind the driver to the passenger side, had to do with the fact that my fuel pumps were in the way.

Finally, the 14 X 18” condenser is the largest size that can be installed in the rear compartment of GTD. When the rear bonnet is closed, there is about 1/8” clearance!!! The AC works great now, even when the temp outside is 100+.

pic-1.jpg

pic-2.jpg

pic-3.jpg

pic-5.jpg

pic-6.jpg

pic-7.jpg

pic-8-1.jpg

pic-10.jpg

pic-11.jpg

Last edited:
Back