Insulation for your tunnel and more

They only sell this stuff by the box so I had to purchase 100 square feet of the 8#, 1/2" thick 24"x 50' of this stuff:

Ceramic Fiber Blanket - DS Industries Supplies

It's darn good for the tunnel, insulating the fire wall, etc. as the stuff is good to some 2000 degrees Fahrenheit. It took less than 10 square feet to do my tunnel so I have a lot of this stuff left over. If anyone wants some, I'll sell it by the linear foot (1' x 24" will yield two square feet of course). For those wanting to do their tunnel, I'd make that 5' long to give 10 square feet.

Cost is $1 per square foot plus shipping and will ship from TX, 75070.

Attachments

• sample-product-large.jpg
    sample-product-large.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 200
Darrin...Terry
I use that insulation in some of the flares we build....basically a big box that burns off the methane at landfills, and other scrubbing devices.
I don't think there is an adhesive that will hold that because of the nature of the material..it simply pulls apart.
We use a mechanical fastening system that shows no exposed fasteners, but the material is folded and shows a 6" depth which covers the anchors.
I can attest to the quality of this stuff...it really is heat and flame resistant if you can find a way to mount it, and is basically inert being a ceramic fiber it does not rot or deteriorate at all. I put mine in the firewall and tunnel between partitions and it has a really good sound deadening quality as well.
There are some diamond shaped flat stainless washer type fasteners out there that might do the job...just a thought.
Cheers
Phil

What did you use as an adhesive that will not soften or release when it gets hot?

Inside the tunnel, I just wrap it around and the aluminum sides hold it tight. To that you can add some 3M high temp flue tape (supposedly good to about 600 degrees Fahrenheit...got some at Lowes) if you want but inside the tunnel, on my setup at least, this was overkill.

They also make a high temp adhesive although I did not use this. DEI 010301 (black) rated at 1500f deg.

Hope this helps.

It really is great stuff. I'm thinking about using it on my firewall too just in case. :)

Last edited:
Darrin...Terry
I use that insulation in some of the flares we build....basically a big box that burns off the methane at landfills, and other scrubbing devices.
I don't think there is an adhesive that will hold that because of the nature of the material..it simply pulls apart.
We use a mechanical fastening system that shows no exposed fasteners, but the material is folded and shows a 6" depth which covers the anchors.
I can attest to the quality of this stuff...it really is heat and flame resistant if you can find a way to mount it, and is basically inert being a ceramic fiber it does not rot or deteriorate at all. I put mine in the firewall and tunnel between partitions and it has a really good sound deadening quality as well.
There are some diamond shaped flat stainless washer type fasteners out there that might do the job...just a thought.
Cheers
Phil

FWIW, they make this stuff at a place I drive by every day on my way home.

Back