Internet access

This is really directed to OZ users . I use Telstra Cable at home and it is near useless. At work they use another provider whose name escapes me but we have no downtime. Ziggy seems to get the money and I get the crappy service. I'm not against change.... any suggestions? Regards

Norman,

Telstra have recently had technical problems created by an email virus. The virus basicaly turned most Big Pond users into SPAM servers causing traffic to increase by about 25% and so overload their system. Incidentally, the users are usually totally oblivious to the fact that their PCs are pushing out all this SPAM. Telstra say that they are now on top of the problem and will soon have enough bandwidth (grunt) to overcome any future attacks. We wait to see if they are as good as thier word.

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
You guys should be so lucky as to have such problems !

I have the Telstra cable running down the street, but our battle-axe driveway is too long - no cable internet.

Our basic phone services are provided via one of those fibre-fed RIM's - so no ADSL.

So here I am, stuck on the end of a 56k modem - at least I have time to make a cup of coffee between downloads !

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Norman,
Since I read your post, I've had two more people mention that they've been experiencing problems with Big Pond's reliablility. Both said that the problem had been ongoing for years. Each person offered this information independantly out of left field without the need for me to ask the question. If you've also been experiencing these problems for longer than a few weeks, then the virus would not explain it.

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Norman, my Dad has BigPond Cable & it is great when it is working - however, this seems to be about 60% of the time !

After 2 changes of modems, things settled down for a while, then more problems. The last visit by a tech : "I have to rush off as I have 7 more faults to attend in your street".

What a pile of crap - I'll stay with the old modem & the slower pace of life. At least I get to make a cup of coffee now & then !

Kind Regards,

Peter D. (the Luddite) !

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
PS : I forgot to mention that you should deduct the pro-rata amount from your payments (for when it wasn't working).

This is built into legislation covering Telstra & tends to get their attention !

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Back