Jack stands vs lifts

Gents...my 2 cents worth. I too struggled with what lift/jacks etc to procure.....so I bought a Max Jack and a 4 post lift. I store the car on the 4 post when not in use and park the family car under it. I discovered how convenient it was to have the Max Jack not only for the SLC but for all my toys and I'm glad I have it. Saved me lots of time having to bent over all the time.....literally a back saver.

While we are adding our own 2 cents, I own a two post lift (a Max Jack same as Dan) but to date have not had my SL-C on it. I have not had the need to use it. So far I have utilized jack stands and a low profile jack as Howard suggested. Currently I want the car sitting on the tires at ride height for body fitment so I am using wheel cribbing. To get the car up on the cribbing I jack it from each side one side at a time. To jack it front then rear would cause the frame to hit the ground at such a severe angle. If you are VERY CAREFUL you can jack it on the side safely. It is not something I am doing often to test fate. When I need to remove the car from the cribbing I may lift things slightly to get my wheel caster under the cribbing, roll it over to my two post lift, then remove it safely.

2021-01-30 12.40.59.jpg

Joel K

Supporter
Here is a pic of my setup. It is called the EZ carlift and is like a big scissor jack. It is raised with an 8 Amp power drill. Stores easily. I enjoy working on the car without bending down too much.

0309E402-3B6B-4663-AE74-F0A039F4FAE7.jpeg

Neville B

Supporter
I'm ready to push the button on a Quick Jack BL5000 SLX there are 4 rubber mounts at each corner but I am not keen on lifting the car with just the 4 mounts, so I'm thinking remove the rubber mounts and lay a piece of 4"*2" Pine front to back and maybe 2 more pieces left to right to roughly form a rectangle so the load is spread, am I being stupid ;-) any other comments suggestions appreciated, thanks

Mmm maybe in the wrong place with this, I should have checked properly lifting a GT40 ;-)

Last edited:
I'm ready to push the button on a Quick Jack BL5000 SLX there are 4 rubber mounts at each corner but I am not keen on lifting the car with just the 4 mounts, so I'm thinking remove the rubber mounts and lay a piece of 4"*2" Pine front to back and maybe 2 more pieces left to right to roughly form a rectangle so the load is spread, am I being stupid ;-) any other comments suggestions appreciated, thanks

Mmm maybe in the wrong place with this, I should have checked properly lifting a GT40 ;-)

I would recommend against this. The rubber gives you a little bit of squish in case whatever surface you’re contacting isn’t perfectly flat. It also has a good amount of friction to prevent the car from sliding off the lift. There is no issue with load distribution unless your car is severely imbalanced relative to your jacking points.

I use the same quickjack with my SLC.

Neville B

Supporter
I would recommend against this. The rubber gives you a little bit of squish in case whatever surface you’re contacting isn’t perfectly flat. It also has a good amount of friction to prevent the car from sliding off the lift. There is no issue with load distribution unless your car is severely imbalanced relative to your jacking points.

I use the same quickjack with my SLC.
Thanks

I live in Louisiana and never experienced my QJ rubber pads slipping, but this guy did. Not QJ fault, but definitely something that's always in the back of my mind. I like the idea of using the wood in the recessed part, maybe with a layer of rubber pad on top?

Absolutely doesn't apply to the SLC/GT40, but if anyone rides motorcycles I just learned yesterday was QJ sells a motorcycle adapter so you can use your QJ to lift a bike. It's not cheap and IMO overpriced at $760, especially if you already have a front wheel chock on hand, but the idea is awesome and I plan to make out of wood.

Back